Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I fell down a rabbit hole

Aamy Lane sent me her latest book so I could proof-read/edit it. She is the sort of writer that sucks you completely into her world, and I finally finished up on Monday night. I did other things all weekend, as well as read and revel, but when I wasn't at the county fair or the estate sale or the lys close out, I was deep into Amy's book. It's my favorite of all her works so far. It has humor, great characters, believable problems and hot vampire sex. And elf and were-hawk sex, too. I thought I was done with hot flashes, but Amy has kick-started the old hormones.

Any how, I'm now back to our previously scheduled version of reality, and have some photographic documentation of the weekend.



Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks is closing their retail space and will be an online store from now on. I went to the inventory clearance sale on Friday, gritted my teeth, and only got what I absolutely couldn't resist. (Sock Summit hit me hard. And flock and Fiber Fest is coming next month.) but Angora and merino yarn in my favorite weight (worsted) for half price . . . I succumbed. And I got Dave Daniels a Christmas present which is going into the mail today. Surprise! Merry Christmas!!





Had to share this photo. The sign on the back of the seriously rear-ended car says, "Student Driver" Why wouldn't you give this car a little extra space? Dum, dah dum dum!

On Saturday, DH took me to a paradisical estate sale. The women had been an amatuer astronomer, and a ham radio operator, and an avid angler who tied her own flies, and a potter, and a painter, and a (are you ready for this?) sewer, spinner and weaver. I dropped over a hundred dollars. Got a king-sized quilt bat for $2, a wooden umbrella swift for one seventh its retail value, a pound of cashmere and yak roving (blonde) for $25, a pound of blue-faced-leister roving(white) for $16, and a plethora of domestic trinkets for all the rest. I passed on the loom and the spinning wheel and the electric drum carder. And the bass boat, the radio equipment, the portable easel, the hand thrown set of dishes and all the teapots, . . . . My magpie was in frenzy by the time we hauled our prizes away, I can promise you! No photos. we got home, unloaded, then headed off to the county fair.



Twin kids. Are they not adorable?





It's important for the sheep to wear coats to keep the fleece clean in the barn, but it's delightful when the coats are so snazzy!





I had to buy kettle corn. The guy who makes it in the Pioneer village was always so kind to me when I worked the village (and cried myself to sleep every night because I missed DH and hated sleeping in a tent. That's the way we had to do it, though.)

And DH was most intrigued by thisdragonfly of a chopper, so I got a snapshot of it for him, and then the guy who was showing it off offered to take my photo with it. And I love having my photo taken!

Sunday, I read and annotated. Monday was a whiskey tango foxtrot sort of morning. I got a call from the boass saying that the two other gals who were supposed to be at work in the morning wouldn't be able to make it, and could I come in early? I was on the john when she called, and rather than take the time to call back, knowing she would be elbow deep in frantic already, I just dragged on clothes, slapped together a lunch, and hit the road.

Usually, this summer, we have four or five folks show up for GED registration. Monday, there were 20. The boss handled the registration, while I ran the front desk. Usually there are two or three people coming in before 10 AM. By 10, I had 8 people taking placement tests, and two more doing makeup tests for their summer school classes. Meanwhile I was setting up for the tests I would be administering Tuesday. And you would not believe the number of ditzes who called with unanswerable questions and total incomprehension issues! It all happens at once, you know?

By 10, when I had to start administering GED tests, there was a line about six deep at the front desk, and the boss took over being just as calm and kind and gracioius to each and every one of the ignnerant ditzles. She amazes me. I was about ready to scream, "Sit down. Shut up. Wait your turn like good kids! And quit asking for the impossible fer crysakes! You lost your scores? Too bad fer you, cupcake! Why should we keep track of your shit for you?" I didn't, but I was reinforced in my belief that I don't like stress.

Tuesday, LI and M were back on duty, and all I had to do was my usual work. I even got some knitting done. I'll show you tomorrow.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That is the estated sale of legend! Ours around here are always full of odd stuff. The things no one in the family wanted anyway.

    I'm glad you liked Amy's book. She was so happy to hear that.

     
  • At 12:28 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    Nice yarn haul!

    It is one of my Knitting Dreams to find a wooden swift at one seventh the retail price! I fear I shall have to live vicariously through you!

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Wow, vampire sex AND Christmas gifts all in the same post, and more???
    That's too bad about Abundant, I heard they were closing the brick and mortar. They DO have great stuff.

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I don't think I could have resisted the spinning wheel. Good resistance job!

    Yarn store closing? I live in the wrong state!

    I know you hated working at the fairs~ but I loved it. I think I might be a carnie at heart...

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    So, fantasy romances...a new one for me!! Although vampires have always seemed rather eerily sexy, at least the ones that still look human and not like death warmed over.
    Sounds like you have enough stuff to play with for awhile!

     
  • At 5:11 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I'm so green!!

    Sounds like you had a day, but the treasures you've found almost make up for it.

     
  • At 6:31 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I don't always find good stuff at estate sales, but I do find stuff just often enough to keep me looking. It's that thing dog trainers say: an intermittent reward is even more powerful than a consistent reward.

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    WOW--I want to have an estate sale like that--what an amazing sort of life!

    It took me a while to figure out the 'whiskey tango foxtrot' but once I got there, and then read why, I was like, wtf indeed!

    And wow-- you sure did get a lot done in a weekend you claim to be 'lost' to my book--I don't think I get that much done on weekends I DON'T read!

    And I sure am glad you like it-- you're welcome for the hot flashes, by the way--those come free with the book *g*:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home