Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, August 28, 2009

garter stitch gloves

OK, there are two ways to make these gloves: 1. The right way. 2. The Roxie way.

The Right way:
take your yarn and chosen needeles, cast on at least 30 stitches and work at least 60 rows of garter stitch to get your gauge. Measure your hand from little fingertip to where you want your cuff to end and cast on the appropriate number of stitches. work enough rows to half enfold your little finger. Measure the length of your little finger and bind off the appropriate number of stitches. Measure your ring finger and cast on the appropriae number of stitches. Knit sufficient rows to half enfold ring finger. Note that the two sides of the ring finger are not the same length. (Look at your hand.the webbing of the little finger starts lower than the webbing between the ring finger and the middle finger.)cast on the appropriate number of stitches. continue in this manner, binding off and casting on to meet the measurements of the hand. When you get to the thumb, just carry on knitting enough to completely enfold the thumb, then reverse the bind off and cast ons till you get to the far side of the little finger. You will then have a wierd looking flat thing with 8 half-fingers and a thumb. Fold it in half at the thumb and sew up the side and along all the fingers and thumb. You will be really good at cast on and bind off by the time you have finished a pair of gloves.

The Roxie way:

Get needles that work with your yarn. (I like size five with sport weight). measure with the yarn from the tip of your little finger to where you want your cuff to end, more or less. Triple that length, and make a slip knot, then do a long tail cast-on.

Work as for the Right way, but don't bother with all the math. Just lay your hand on the work and count stitches.

If you have narrow hands and thin wrists, work your thumb with short rows, making each row a few stitches longer til you're half done, then reversing it to complete.

Now, instead of just binding off, . . . Oh, drat! I'll have to do an illustration. Tune in tomorrow for the rest of the Roxie way.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    oh aren't they just a picture of elegance?!

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Very cool looking!!

     
  • At 9:53 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Hmmm I think I fell asleep and missed something...

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    It sounds so confusing and looks so beautiful... I'm terrible at interpreting written instructions.

     
  • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Oh, lovely gloves! I've tried to knit gloves three times from a pattern, and understood it just enough to mess it up with the math! I have long, skinny fingers, so most gloves don't fit me. I have to work on the fly for things like that, or else they're just too big! My mom calls them piano hands, I call them annoying to fit.

     
  • At 2:57 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    They are gorgeous! But too much work for my little brain, when I can just work cuff up.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home