Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

introducing a few characters

My mind gets rather crowded sometimes. There's the inner child in all her ages (the 3-year-old adores pink glitter. The 16-yeaqr-old thinks grey is sooooo sophisticated. Sometimes I wear grey with pink glitter accessories.)
There the tapeworm that screams, "Starvation!!" at the sight of every cookie, biscuit or cupcake. The inner crone casts disparaging glances at young women in "skinny" jeans and cleavege-displaying t-shirts. ("Rome fell," she wants to scold, "and those proud tatas will fall too, Sweetie. Develop your MIND for god's sake!") The inner magpie wants to pick things up, and the Zen nun wants to let them go. Sometimes the nun goes through the house and clears out the pretty rocks, leaves, feathers, candy wrappers, bits of string and whatnots that the magpie has collected. The magpie doesn't care. She doesn't want to HAVE, only to pick up.

So the nun encourages me to sew like a pieceworker and whip out comforters to put that conglomeration of yardage to use.I get great joy from doing it, and all the parts of my mind are happy while it goes on. Then I go to the fabric store to buy some batting, and the magpie goes NUTS! Fat quarters are just like potato chips to her. They are irresistable, and she can never stop at just one. Of course you have to pass the racks and racks of fat quarters on the way to the batting and sometimes I try to scuttle by with my head averted, muttering, "Don't look. Don't look." Those are the days that the beads trip me up. I don't do beading. I buy beads, and don't use them. At least I use the fat quarters. It starts so innocently. My eye falls on a wonderful caramel-colored print. Right shade, right scale, right everything. It's the perfect piece to go with that brown and the terracotta chunks at home. And if I add this mossy green for accent . . . ooo, and look, a bundle of gold and mustard and yellow - why I can always use those colors. And they're on sale! I'll save enough on this bundle (of fabrics that I don't need and have no plan for) that I can buy this wonderful whimsical glittery pink stuff (the magpie and the 3-year-old often work hand in claw.)

So I fear entering the fabric stores. I could go to Goodwill and buy a nice used blanket for the thermal layer in a comforter, but everytime I go in there, the magpie picks up a new blazer or a cup and saucer or a new summer shirt. Where is that zen nun when I need her? Probably sitting cross-legged under a tree meditating on the color of the wind in Septober. Is there a 12 step program out there for magpies anonymous? I need some holp with this. You can't just go cold turkey on a magoie, even if you ARE feeling a little too chicken to look at the credit-card bill.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    LOL
    You definitely have that multiple personality problem where they all want something different in life and lifestyle. I know the feeling and have become very good at avoiding the purchasing (no money at all!).
    I used to forage garage sales for "deals" and "decor."
    Now I look around and think "I really do not need all of this."
    But quilting, that is therapeutic, and you produce something that will inflate your pride as well--all good!

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    "I don't do beading. I buy beads, and don't use them."

    Neither do I, and so do I!

     
  • At 5:20 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Beads will trip me up, too. But i have a daughter who makes jewelry so i can give them to her. The nun is winning in my house right now. I think when the weather gets warm, I tend to want fewer things around me. I don't throw things away, I put them into boxes and keep them. When I find them again, it's like having presents.

     
  • At 3:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Everything happens for a reason. You're buying all the beads and someday someone you know will need them. And the Nun will be more then happy to see them go.

     
  • At 6:19 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL! Oh, honey--my zen nun has been prostrate under the shade tree, needing to be fanned for most of my life--I have no idea what to do for you--that inner magpie is just so LOUD and so ENTERTAINING, and so DEMANDING... she really just gets her way!

     
  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger Em said...

    I don't have an inner magpie. I'm just easily affected by discount fumes. Really. I go into a Dollar Tree or Ollie's (our local discount store) and sort of blank out. I come out a while later dazed and confused and wondering what possessed me to buy another shiny candle holder and a bag of colored pebbles. It's the fumes, I swear. I have no need for shiny, pretty things. I'm just very susceptible to some things.

     
  • At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, at least you own and acknowledge all those gals within you. Bravo. I like em all.
    Barb

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home