Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, May 31, 2009

This piecing is addictive!

So I had this fabric I had bought at the flea market in Honolulu - already cut into rectangles - scraps from a garment manufacturing sweatshop no doubt. And I had been planning on planning a lovely, well organized, "Planned" quilt with them. Not just whacked together randomly, but laid out with forethought and consideration. I was putting my fabrics away, and this package of parts fell out of the cupboard and - well, just a few seams. And then just a few more. I was chain sewing and before I knew it, every patch had been joined to another patch. then I thought I would just stick a few patches together to see how they would work up. Before I knew what was happening, I was whacking together sections and slapping together colors, and then, unless I wanted to deconstruct a hell of a lot, I had to use this section here to fill out that section there and voila, another comforter is born. (I had the jass station on the radio. It might be Duke Ellington's fault that I got so carried away.)

Mostly blue side.


Mostly red side.

And the survivor rose is blooming. We had planted a lovely peachy/apricot hybrid tea rose here at the corner of the house, and the next winter was very severe, and the rose froze out. sigh. So in the spring we whacked off the dead canes and re-considered what to plant there. And as we thought, new shoots began to rise from the root stock. Hybrid tearoses are often grafted onto old rose species rootstock to partake of the old rose vigor. This old rose root survived the cold that killed the hybrid, and began to thrive in it's original glory. I don't know which single-blooming climbing red it is, but it's so willing and hardy that we don't have the heart to get rid of it, even if dark red isn't the color we would have chosen to go with our light brick facade. This old red is an honest to gosh success story, and the petals, if I remember to harvest them, are divine in potppourri.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:35 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Serendipity. That's the serendipity quilt. Those pieces knew they wanted to be together and communicated it to you. Beautiful.

     
  • At 3:01 PM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    I think the quilt is charming. Clearly muu-muu prints are destined for life as quilts, reminding me of a floral-print dress I really liked, until I saw a photo of myself in it - I looked like a chair in chintz-covered English sitting room.
    Your rootstalk rose is Dr. Huey. Now you can go out and introduce yourself properly...

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the quilt! I don't have the patience for sewing; instead, I knit, LOL!

    Those old species roses are wonderful; no spraying, no aphids, just whack 'em back and they keep on blooming. Had one back in Missouri that we called "Rosilla"; it was a rambler that routinely crept into the shared driveay. But it had big, hot fucsia cabbage-rose blooms and the most divine scent!

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Cool! Steeple-chase quilts!

    Your rose sounds like it's a beautiful smeller, too. I 've generally observed that the ratty, old-fashioned roses are the ones that generally smell the sweetest.

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Love the quilting pattern you used. They are pretty.
    And I think it must have been jazz you were listening to, not jass! LOL
    How do you make potpourri from rose petals? Is there a recipe??

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love those! Now I have an overwhelming desire to take a quilting class.

     
  • At 6:25 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh honey--that one is SOOOOOOOOOO cool... I love watching you in quilting fever--you're just one masterpiece after another! And we have those 'old roses' too--I think of them as 'briar roses'-- they're the sort of thing I imagine grew around Sleeping Beauty's castle.

     
  • At 9:13 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    Love how that quilt just came together. It does seem like it already knew what it wanted to be. You just supplied the hands to make it happen.

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    Perhaps our Roxie was just being historically informed. According to the Ken Burns series, "jass" is the oldest recorded form of the word. We won't mention what it apparently refers to, this being a g-rated blog - well, maybe PG13. It is Roxie' blog, after all!
    As to the quilt - to paraphrase the Duke, if it looks good, it is good!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home