Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, May 25, 2009

snowball fight!

Here's my snowball. where's yours?

On Saturday DH and I took a road trip to visit my Brother, my dear SIL and my mother, who is ninety something. My dad would be turning 100 this year if he were still alive. My brother is 72. I, of course, am just about 21 and still as fresh and strong and lovely as ever.

This is the country where I grew up. Lots of sky, lots of view, and not much else. It got so you knew every tumbleweed by it's first name. Central Oregon is a stinking desert, and as soon as I moved to the verdant valley, I put down my roots and GREW!!

(oh, and for my Aussie friends, those snowcapped peaks are the Three Sisters. Not much like the sisters outside of Sydney.)


On Sunday, DH and I went to the local farmer's market. Not too much in the way of edibles yet, but the flowers are blooming beautifully! I even saw black Irises being carried away. The usual potters and bakers and jewelers are in their usual locations, the usual people were wandering around with their usual dogs, the band was a group of old hippies called "Bodacious", playing guitars and singing home-grown 60s rock and roll. ANd doing a grand job of it, too! DH bought me a bag of kettle corn, and a cup of mango sorbet. It was yummy!

Today, Monday, we are going grocery shopping, then meeting friends for lunch, then heading home to continue playing with our new toys. I still haven't put my new sewing machine away. I keep sewing smaller and smaller scraps together and getting led merrily astray. What to do with a 24 inch square pieced bit that is just lovely and doesn't go with anything in my house? I'll come up with something if I just keep sewing.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:40 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    We graduated MamaMia on Friday from San Diego State, then we partied through the next two days. Today at home I'm paying the piper with laundry and gardening.

    Happy Memorial Day to you!

     
  • At 11:41 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I agree about the desert. I was never much for that area either. Probably why I did not "fit" into S. California. My soul soared when we moved here. I had always gravitated to Oregon and Washington, so the NW called me to come for years.

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    You could pad and quilt the small bit and call it a trivet or pot holder. Or just frame that thing and hang it up! If it's pretty, it's art! (If it's not pretty, it's STILL art!)

    Congratulations on your upcoming 22nd birthday, and thanks for the lovely photos.

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    It's the sky and air of the high desert...I can't imagine being anywhere else!!

     
  • At 7:59 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    I got the lovely tea cozy last week and used it this weekend. I don't know how you knew the size, or found out the address, but both were perfect!

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Sometimes it's good to go back to where we came from so we can appreciate where we are. The flowers are lovely.

     
  • At 7:21 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I never thought of Oregon as having a desert until I just recently read it in a book. Oregon is green and wet in my mind. Our farmer's markets are just getting underway, too. I love the flowers.

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I really enjoyed my two weeks in the green country. When I go back I recognize how I miss the change of seasons. Summers are an explosion of color as everything blooms.

    Then I come back to Arizona and am awed by the bast expanses, the sunsets and distant mountains.

    I love both and am grateful to get the opportunity to go back and forth as much as I do.

    Enjoy the sewing. I'm sure you will come up with a plan!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    oooh... purty.. purty flowers, purty mountains... but I see your point--I too, would grow oppressed with that much sky!

     
  • At 12:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I still miss Oklahoma. When I first moved here, I pined for the unbearable heat, the tornadoes, the snakes, the chiggars, the gobs of fried food. I tell folks it's a place only a native could love. I think home becomes whatever you're used to. I'm so glad you and I share the same geography.
    Barb

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    My snowball bush is being rained on today. *splat*!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home