Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm not crazy

It's been a glorious day today! Sunny, mild, fresh and - well - glorious! I had two hours of work, then four hours to kill before a meeting with a pshchiatrist to talk about the depression (which the Prozac has dealt with. There is a bit of lag time getting fitted into the Doctor's schedule.) The doctor's office was 5 miles from the college. Home is 18 miles from rhe college. Rather than drive home, then drive back, I took myself out for a leisurely lunch at the Singer Hill Cafe- two blocks from the doctor office. I had a turkey wrap with humus instead of cheese. Oh yum! And sesame slaw, and cups of tea, all in a light-filled, airy setting, with pleasant music playing in the background. I settled in a nice old overstuffed sofa and pulled out the laptop. No wifi access, so I got in about three hours of delicious, delightful writing time! What is it about writing in a public place that feels so self-indulgent and satisfying? Is it the freedom from the nagging of housework? The vibes of life's rich pagent parading by? The vanity of appearing busy and intelligent? (Naw - if anyone even noticed me, they probably thought I was playing solitaire.)

Anyway, the time flew. I made it to the Doctor's appointment in good time, and got a clean bill of health. She suggested that I should walk outside half an hour a day - in the daylight - five days a week. Also a light box and some extra vitamin D. I'm up for that. DH is already making plans to build a box.

When I got home, I hung my sling chair in the walnut tree. I settled into it, and listened with some trepidation as the dead limb from which I swung creaked ominously. Then it creaked again. I began cautiously to gather my feet under me when CRACK_! down it came! It didn't land on me and I fell on nice cushy bark mulch. Lucky, lucky me! So I brough the whole apparatus over to the apple tree. The limb is much lower. My butt barely clears the ground, but I'm not worried about a long and jarring fall.

We went for a little walk with friends in a local bird sanctuary on Monday afternoon.

The wild roses are blooming. What romance. What poetry. What a lovely place to live!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh darling--I always knew you weren't crazy... (a half-a-bubble-off-plumb is simply sideways. Sideways is good!) But look at those pictures of that glorious world you live in--a doctor's recommendation to walk in that has got to be a wonderful thing!

     
  • At 9:46 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I dose of beautiful flowers and trees every day - sounds like a winner to me.

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    The walks and sunshine sound like good advice. I know I'd need a light box or two if I lived through Portland winters.

     
  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Sunshine is wonderful stuff. Where was the bird sanctuary? We have a big one up here in Ridgefield that is nice to go through. I'm heading down to Canby on Saturday to pick up 20 pounds of wool. Hopefully the fiber, etc. will help me shake the blahs. Any pictures of your swing in the apple tree?

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Where is the bird sanctuary? I would love to take my camera out there.

     
  • At 2:34 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    So glad you got the clean bill of health... and thank heaven the prozac is working for you : )

    I loved the idea of bringing in the colour for the examinees. Nothing worse than staring at someone's back the whole time, too scared of turning to look to the side in case one's accused of cheating. A nice, safe eye target for middle and long focus exercises and distraction is a wonderful thing mid-exam.

    I don't know about you but writing in a cafe screams "Sophistication!" to me. Good thing you found it productive; I'd be too distracted by the passers-by.

     
  • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Happy to hear you wasn't hurt from the falling limb. Even better to hear you're within tolerance... :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home