Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 01, 2009

potpourri

Rose asked if there is a recipe for potpourri. Not really. Pick the petals in the afternoon when the dew is gone, and spread them in a basket to dry. I seperate colors because some dry prettier than others, and if I have a really good year, I can use some of them for packing material when I ship my Christmas gifts.

Store them in an air-tight container when they are utterly dry. Otherwise you will get a nasty mildewy thing going on and have to throw it all away.

I add lavender, and if the fragrance is too blah, a couple drops of scented oils. Cloves and cinnamon bits are nice, as are dried orange and lemon peels. And now that we have a rosemary bush, that might go in as well. Potpourri turns trash i nto treasure. Create a container and give goodness to all your ladyfriends. (how about sachets for the lingerie drawers? Or plait a basket of fragrance to stir up whenever you pass?)

I sewed another quilt top. Now to find a back and a batt. Then, photos. I can see that I HAVE to set up the loom or this sewing thing will consume me. It's self-preservation, right?

5 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    You're a much nicer packer than I am. Every year when we shipped Christmas presents from Hawaii we would put in plastic cockroaches for the fun of getting 3AM phone calls from people who saw it and screamed. Good fun.

    Can't wait to see the loom and what you make with it.

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    You love the potpourri and making baskets and weaving; have you ever made lavender sticks to combine all three? Here's a great tutorial: http://anniesaddendum.blogspot.com/2009/05/making-lavender-stick.html

    Enjoy!

     
  • At 4:59 PM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    I ***LOVE*** making pot pourri. One thing I learned was to use orris root (dried iris roots) to add the essential oils to. it helps lock in the fragrance. You're inspiring me to make more...

     
  • At 11:16 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    I second Dave - orris acts as a fixative for the other fragrances. Did you know you can revive aging potpourri w/a small amount of brandy? (Don't use your best Remy-Martin...)
    It does work. Course it works on me too...

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    My dear, I have learned to ride my obsessions until they leave me saddle sore... it's more fun that way! And the potpourri idea is lovely:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home