Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

And I'm still smiling

When I give the instructions for the GED tests, I try to make it as interesting and entertaining as possible. Usually, the candidates sit there like oysters in the shell, and I never know if I'm getting through or not. One young lady, home-schooled of course, was alert and alive and paying attention for every test. She laughed at my jokes and smiled when she saw me. She was a treat to deal with. Yesterday she took her last test, and as she left she handed me a little envelope. She wrote me a thnk-you note! She took the time and went to the effort to write me a lovely, sweet little note. Just a few words, and it just MADE my day! Such a simple way to give so much pleasure. I think I'll write a few thank-you notes today. Is there anyone you would like to delight? It doesn't have to be a comprehensive list of all the virtues a person has. It could be, "Thank you for making the coffe in the morning. It makes my day so much easier."

And thanks to all of you for being there and giving me a reason to post. I do love my blog buddies!

10 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM , Blogger ugomema said...

    Thank You for being there. You make my day.

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Was that young lady named "Chloe", with long dark hair, by chance? If she was, then that was our Great Niece, who was taking her GEDs this week. She's already been invited to visit Baylor, Harvard, Yale, and Stirling in Scotland to see if she'd like to study at any of their fine institutions. But then, so was her mother at only 16!

    Thank you for writing your blog, Roxie. It never fails to make my day!

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Thank you for your posts, which usually leave me smiling!
    My supervisor is always giving me thank you cards, little gifts, and flowers as she says I do so much to support her and make her work easier. It is so nice to be appreciated! And it definitely makes me feel like I am worthwhile.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    And thank YOU for your post, Roxie--you really did make my day too!

     
  • At 4:41 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I've got three people I'll need to write thank you notes for when I get back to work on Monday.

    I enjoy all the blog writers I read. You guys make my day sunny when I want to throttle cow-orkers.

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I'm trying to pull out the stationary and write little notes more often. My mom gives me new pretty notecards faster than I can use them, so there's no point in hoarding when I could use them to make someone's day.

     
  • At 6:11 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    I always try and say thank you to people, but unfortunately, it goes right in one ear and out the other faster than I finish my sentence. Maybe it's because I try to thank my coworkers who are your typical teenagers who don't really care? Hmm.
    Thank you for your blog posts. I don't always comment, but I do usually read! You always have such a sunny post for me to read, I enjoy it.
    And thank you for the Sanna books. I can't wait for the next one!

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    And thank you for being there. I try to remember to thank people and to be grateful for all the little kindnesses people show. I say thank you to bus drivers for getting me safely to my destination, and cashiers for carefully bagging up my goodies. It often surprises them and that's kinda sad.

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    R,
    You remind me of how such small kindnesses mean so much to other people.
    I needed a kick in the pants to get outside of myself and give some verbal hugs.
    Thank you for all the kind words you leave around you, like seeds that grow and make hearts tender.
    Thanks.
    Barb

     
  • At 11:06 AM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    It is sad how unusual basic kindness and courtesy seems to have become. Librarians love me, and often remember me by name. I say thank you for questions answered, etc.,and when I have fines I pay them with a smile and don't argue! I guess that is rare in their experience. That said I've never been the world's best thank-you note writer. But I try!
    I have to say, however that when I left home for college, lo these 43 years ago (you do the math) I felt the same way. Meaning, leaving a small town and a large, warm extended family, the big world seemed rude and uncaring. So we just remember and attempt to act on Mother Teresa's words, trying always to do little things with great love (or random acts of kindness, as the catch phrase was...)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home