Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, March 28, 2009

pink and yellowseason

I need to stick some primroses in the ground, but don't they look pretty, waiting patiently for my attention?

I snapped this shot from the car as DH and I rolled home from breakfast. "What was that?" he asked and I explained that I wanted to share the pink showing up in the neighborhood.

Bless his innate hunter's nature. We instantly started driving all over the neighborhood looking for more pink. He knew where there was a good stand of japanese flowering cherry and drove me over there. Click, click!

Then he saw a pink froth floating above the nearby houses, and we were off and away again. Flowering plum. We drove around for another twenty minutes while he hunted for bigger and better pink things, bless his dear heart. I am SUCH a spoiled and indulged woman!! These are the pick of about thirty photos of pink trees. Wanna see more? I'll be glad to bring them out!

On Thursday, MJ and I got together and put a back on the quilt we made. She showed me the wonderful technique where you make the backing about six inches bigger than the top, then fold it over to make binding. He sewing skills made it look sooo beautifully finished. Another quilt to donate!

Now I am sewing a quilt for my darling niece, LB. She actually asked me if I would make a quilt for her. I was so touched that I have decided to actually PLAN and MEASURE to get it to come out right. She wants a king-sized quilt. I have a neat square that winds up looking like a japanese lantern, and I have a bunch of Asian style fabrics to make the lanterns with. The square is 10 X 10. I have to make 70 of them, then alternate them with solid squares. You know, there is a certain satisfaction to doing things the usual way. Ask me how I feel about all this when I am sewing the 68ths square. I have five done already.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Oh, I love primroses. And indulgent husbands. And flowering trees. Lovely quilt, too! Looks like a beautiful day.

    Happy spring!

     
  • At 3:48 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    That pink flower you snapped from the car is something called "Pig Squeek", I think. So called because if you rub the leaves between your fingers, it makes an "oink" sound.

    Love the quilt you and MJ did! Went to a quilt show today with a quilting friend; half expected to see you there. I have some fabulous shots for knitting inspiration. But didn't get a picture of the Japanese lantern one there. They'll be up on the blog later.

     
  • At 6:15 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I could do a post on brown. *sigh* Pink is coming, though!

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    We have a tree that will eventually turn pink this spring. The color will be most welcome. Your quilt is wonderful, especially the kitty square. Thank you for sharing pictures with us!

     
  • At 11:05 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    There is something very debauched about those seemingly prim roses... I'm not bearing tales or anything, but they look a little... ripe to me:-)

    The quilt is beautiful--and bless you for taking on a King sized quilt! I once sewed the top and the back together front to front, and left the the bottom open, tacked the padding to the outside, and then folded it all rightside in like a pillow-case. I liked the results!

     
  • At 1:40 PM , Anonymous SusanLS said...

    You are inspiring me! Not only have I added photos to my blog, I told the Beloved Jenny that, should she build me an appropriate raised bed, I would garden in that one single space. Since I haven't gardened at all in years, this is a big step for me.

     
  • At 5:27 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Lovely lovely pinks! The moss covered steps with the rocks and flowers reminds me of my grandma's garden in Multnomah Village.

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    A month or so from now, when all your trees are clad in pedestrian green and mine array themselves in all their roseate splendor, I will have two words for you:

    neener neener.

    But right now I am madly jealous.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home