Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 19, 2009

pant, pant

We have been flying low for finals week, but finally I can throttle back a bit. Lots of on-line classes coming in for tests and of course some of the computers pick the high-stress time to fail. Amd of course, some of the student pick the high-stress time to melt down. I set up one fellow, rather large with wild gray hair, and he began his test. Everytime someone else came into the room he would glare poisonously at them for several long seconds, sigh gustily, and get back to his work. About half an hour into the day he came storming out of the room, slapped his hands down on the counter-top, fixed me piercingly with a gimlet gaze and announced, "I have a mental illness and I find this constant coming and going intolerably distracting!"

The little simian in the back of my brain begins screaming, "omigawd, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" I pulled a blanket over his head, pulled up my virtual socks and said, "I'm so sorry. It's finals week, so there will be a lot people coming and going all day long. Let me see what I can do to make things quieter for you."

He blinked twice. I could almost see his successful coping mechanism pulling tha blanket over his own inner simian. "OH." he said, in a much calmer tone. "Oh. Thank you."

I checked and told him, "OK, I see we have a private room available untill 10 this morning. Would that work for you?"

An entire cast of characters struggled behind his eyes, but mister rationality won. He graciously accepted my suggestion, finished his test, and thanked me quite cordially on the way out. I suggested that he should reserve the private room for himself everytime he needed to test with us, and he thought that was a very good idea.

And I think it's crowded in MY head!

9 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And of course, contributing to the conversation was your deeply warm and eminently loving self, making its calming presence known amidst the voices. Good work, friend!

     
  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Just a little calmness goes a long way. And I'm sure it didn't hurt the situation that you are so utterly cute and good looking that he WANTed to please you.

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow. That sounds like something to get your heart pounding. I'm glad you were able to help him out. You'll probably be his bestest friend in the testing department now.

     
  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    The poor guy. At least he was able to identify the problem. Although, he could have done it in a less alarming way.....

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger B said...

    You handled it well. I'm guessing it was hard for him to say that.

     
  • At 11:44 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Good for you, Roxie, for quieting his inner simian and letting the thoughtful, patient hound out to take the test!

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    Working where I do gives me a lot of practice in keeping my inner simian under his blanket when others can't. Waiting tables is a patience-trying job, especially when people assume that they can just walk all over you because you're the waitress and they're the customer. So whereas I might let a nice table slide with a polite reminder if their kid runs up and picks off the salad bar, the simian table gets charged for it.

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is kind of a different perspective, but I'll share it. The employment division (we used to call it the UNemployment office.) Asks a person to take a number of tests.

    A couple of weeks ago, the guy next to me would peek around his divider and ask me questions on his test. "Pssst. Do you know how tall a hyacinth is?"

    At first I simply wouldn't answer him, and I sure wouldn't give him eye contact. At one point he moaned, "Oh My God. Another math question!!!"

    I really wanted to pick up my chair and brain the guy, but the whole situation struck me as something that should be on You Tube. I started laughing.

    That was a mistake because, now he knew he had an audience.

    So...I can understand your guy's frustration. And I wish he could have expressed it without the emotion. Who knows what he had riding on that test?

    The beautiful thing is your words acknowledged his needs. It is truly and art to act rather than REact. I'm still working on it. Thanks for giving me the picture of pulling a blanket over the ape jumping and thumping out my emotions. I can use that.
    (Of course, you know my orangutan nature. :))
    Barb

     
  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Oh well done, beautifully handled.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home