Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, January 18, 2009

You can't always get what you want . . .

This was supposed to be a cat-bed or a nice deep basket. I knitted it with four strands of Pendleton weaving wool held together, then ran it throught the wash and dryer with a couple pairs of jeans. It fulled beautifully and and shrank only a little. I set it down on the floor for the kitties and seasoned it with catnip. Would they nest in it? (OK, everyone who owns cats - let's do this in unison. ) HELL NO! They would crumple down the edges and bury their fuzz faces in the catnip. Then they would grab the kitty bed in their claws and rub it over their ears. After enough catnip, Fly wound up lying UNDER the cat bed in a drunken stupor. But none of them, not one, was the least bit interested in using it for a lovely, cozy kitty nest. Hairy-butted ingrates.
So I am using it instead as a splendid tea cozy and too darn bad for the cats.

On our way home from Free Geek yesterday, our car suddenly swerved into a tiny parking area and began to jockey for a parking space. I looked my inquiry at DH and he said, "Didn't you see it?" It was a sign reading, "Foxfire Tea - wholesale and retail" These are people who really know their tea, and if that isn't enough to win your heart, they have friends who use left-over tea to dye fibers!! There was yarn dyed with black tea, with rooiboos tea and with coffee. There were gorgeous silk scarves dyed with various black, green and herbal teas and with coffee. I was smitten. We bought two kinds of blooming tea balls, some white rose and lavender tea (it's mild and flowery and I could just sit and sniff it all day long!) and right now, DH and I are drinking Iron Goddess of Mercy black tea. It's delicate, with a flavor like honey, but not the sweetness, and then you taste the TEA! Delicious, fascinating stuff. And for lunch, we are eating rosemary Triscuits wirh sliced ham and chedder cheese. Life is GOOD!

The wind continues to blow. Many power outages happened during the night. Luckily, they didn't happen to us. But the streets are thick with fir twigs and small branches, and every oak that held its leaves this long is naked now. Dry bitter wind and a lying sun that promises warmth but is cold as rented love. I am SO grateful to have a warm, dry house to live in.

Next knitting project: another moebius scarf using up some left-over greens. There's a red-headed math teacher at school who may appreciate a seamless moebius strip. And then, well, I could always use another tea cozy . . . peach and pink maybe. Or hats? Or vests? Or a sweater? we'll see what comes to the needles.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Furry butted ingrates indeed... That was a splendid cat-basket--they were just being mean. (And stoned.)

    My babysitter's mother calls that a 'fake sun'. Her husband would say, "It's pretty outside today-- put on your flip-flops and your shorts and your summer clothes," and Lucia would reply, "No...no no. It's only a fake sun. It's not real. I wait for a real sun before I think spring." (They're Dominican--if you hear the music in the voices, it sounds like a sad opera.)

     
  • At 3:40 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Will there be ANY branches left on the trees in the PNW this spring?

    You should have know that the cats would never ever use a kitty bed. You should have said very loudly, "Oh look, I've made a tea cosy" and then they would have requestitioned it as a kitty bed.

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Willow has a point. If you didn't want those cats anywhere near that tea cozy they would be all over it.
    (i.e, my Christmas tree skirt is a cat hair mat)

     
  • At 7:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I tagged you.
    The rules are as follows: link to the person who tagged you; write down six things that make you happy; post the rules; tag six others and let them know you have done it; tell the person who tagged you when your entry is up.

     
  • At 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now you told me to put on my big-girl panties and keep sending out queries. So I came over here to look through your projects for this special womanly wear that'll empower me.

    I found a lot of head-gear, but nothing for that section of my body. Did I miss it?
    I want some snuggy ones.
    It's cold outside.

    I love the tea cozy. Apparently your cats would rather have "cat hats" (which is very "in" this year). If you made them little balaclavas stuffed with nip, they could wear it and be blissed out all the time. Knowing how creative you are, you've probably already knitted them.

    They're probably in your catalog, right next to my Big-Girl panties. I'll keep looking through your archives.
    Barb

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If you can figure out how to knit those cats a paper bag, I guarantee they'll use it for a bed. Or just toss a scrap of flannel inside that tea cozy. I think cat wombs must be made of flannel. Cats are attracted to it because they think they're going back to the cozy place where they didn't have to trouble themselves with being awake 8 hours out of the day.

     
  • At 5:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    This winter has had some weird weather. We don't often have winds that last for more than a few hours but this year we have had winds for whole days at a time. I am always glad when I can come into the shelter of my home. And you know that one of the prime purposes of cats is to keep hoomans humble.

     
  • At 5:56 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    Yarn and tea? Wow. I feel lucky that we have a tiny LYS now. Of course, there is a chocolate shop that serves Mexican hot chocolate!

     
  • At 7:34 AM , Blogger FiberQat said...

    Oooh. Another yarn source. I'll have to check that out.

    Place the cat bed over a heat vent. They will discover this and will make the bed their own. Or line it with a fleece.

    I'm involved with the PDX Knitbloggers and Portland Spinnerati. Both are Yahoo groups and you're welcome to join. As for getting together, yes let's do that. You can reach me at fiberqat at gmail daht com.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home