Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Again the Portland Purls assemble

Fourteen happy women crammed in shoulder to shoulder, eating and laughing and drinking tea!


I served gingerbread topped with orange marmelade, then yogurt cheese, and it got rave reviews! I also made ham turnovers, but those were a lot less successful. Oh, yeah, they were fit to eat, but I'm gonna have to learn how to make a decent piecrust before I try that again.

I had such fun with this table setting. The plain white cloth was too blah, but I didn't want to add something that would detract from the pretty hand-painted cups and saucers. (Hand painted was my theme this month.) All my colorful table linens are soo busy with flowers and patterns. So what else? How about a shawl? I dyed this silk and knitted on it for a month and wound up with a long, long wrap with turned out to be perfect! Then, there's the problem with the lighting. The dining-room light is good in the center of the table, but there are shadows at the ends. Candles! But not formal tall candles. Floaties! Don't I have some champagne coupes? Oh, better yet - these nice old compotes!

And to top it all off, piles of clementines for color pop.

One of the guests was joining us for the first time. She confided to me, "It's been years since I've heard such interesting conversation!" The friend she came with said, "I'd have to quit my job to follow them all. Isn't this fun?"

It IS fun! Even though I didn't sit down for the first fourty five minutes, I loved, loved, loved it! And all that trotting around, keeping the teacups filled helped to burn off some of the cookies and gingerbread I ate. It's all good!

9 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I wish I could have joined you!

    Besides the shawl runner (cool idea) I see a tea cozy and someone is wearing an aran sweater!

    Fun, fun, fun!

     
  • At 11:10 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Your parties always look so elegant and like such fun.

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Ooooh, a lovely tea party! The table is gorgeous, the food sounds yummy and I can't imagine a better group of people than knitters to converse with. Thank you for sharing this delightful experience with us.

     
  • At 2:00 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    What fun, and now I miss the group I used to get together with.

     
  • At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, I liked those turnovers! I had three of them. :)

     
  • At 10:56 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a lovely day-- setting a table like that, having a gracious home as a hostess--that's a real gift, and you've got it in spades!

     
  • At 2:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I liked the turnovers as well. And I never saw you sit down, not once. You flitted, and helped the beginning knitters, and kept us all highly amused! Good times. But as the group grows, you're gonna need a bigger house! Not only was the conversation great, the endorphins from all the laughing carried me through an afternoon of hospital sitting with a sick friend.

     
  • At 2:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    oops....I'm not queers in space, I'm me. (Well, I'm actually both of us but I don't want to confuse you)

     
  • At 2:49 PM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    Oh Roxie...
    How I have missed the Portland Purls get togethers and the tea parties. Haven't found anyone here in Medford who would fill the bill as yet, but heck its only been a little over a year. I have hooked up with some quilters who meet every week. Now get this...I drive about 12 miles up the Rogue River to the Trail Grange which has for the most part been taken over by we quilters. It is a wonderful drive that I never regret making. It is like taking a mini vacation each time I drive.

    Anyway. Say hello to the Purls and tell them I'm thinking of you.
    Love ya,
    MaryLou

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home