Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, January 17, 2009

whether report

There is a merterologic high to the east of us, and a low to the west off the ocast which is a condition that invariably produces strong, dry winds. In other locations, such winds are called Santa Ana, or mistral, or other evocative names. Here, the local weathermen took a vote and decided to call them chinook or coho or some other salmonish term. I just call them a bastard. They are the kind of winds that make squirrels chase dogs and mild-mannered housewives take an axe to the neighbor's dead plum tree. People with wind chimes should not be surprised when they are silenced by a shotgun at three AM if the east wind is blowing. I'm afraid that it has gotten to me. I got the wind in my ears and have been re-arranging shelves. I am even, God help me, arranging books according to size, rather than according to topic and author. This is madness, but only by doing this can I get everything into the space. It's like defragmenting a hard-drive but not so efficient. We had some electronics that had given up the ghost, so this morning we took them down to "Free Geek," where they would be repaired, or canabalized for spare parts, and anything workable would go to charity. And having cleared that much more space in the garage, I realized that if I shift these books over here and those over there and get rid of the magazines I have saved for 15 years and never looked at, then I could move some yarn out of the pantry . . .

DH and the cats have wisely settled in out-of-the way places. And the smell of moth balls is giving me a headache. Or maybe I've tweaked my neck. And if those damn windchimes don't stop tinkling I'm going to DO something!t But the yarn is now in only three spaces instead of five. Stash consolidation is a goood thing!

7 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    LOL sounds a little like cabin fever to me.

    Stick a ball of wool in each ear - that'll cure the wind chime problem.

    Interesting, I have the same problem with magazines - cannot part with them, but very rarely read them again.

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I know those winds... they're the winds that make us walk the quad after lunch, because that's when the big riots start... (sadly, not kidding...)

     
  • At 5:50 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Yes, the Santa Anas make me a little barmy. I do things like buy more books and mess about in the garden.

     
  • At 8:41 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    You have been so productive in the garage! I need to emulate your example.

    Perhaps those winds will blow some motivation my way :-)

     
  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I keep trying to share some of our snow with people, but it never makes it through the mail.

     
  • At 12:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I grew up with those winds out in Corbett. One time I counted over 60 days in a row that the wind blew. It would shriek around the eaves, make our woodstove puff smoke into the house, knock our TV antenna out of kilter, and blow the front door open if we didn't lock it with a deadbolt. I am so glad I don't live in East County anymore.

    BTW, the local meteorologists TRIED to name those winds the Cohos, but it didn't stick. They've always been the East Winds, and by God people aren't going to start calling them something else just because some guy who gets paid to be wrong every day tells them to.

     
  • At 8:46 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Now that you've consolidated the stash, just where are you going to put all those skeins Dave Daniels has dyed for you? If you don't have enough room, I'd be happy to give them rooms and board here!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home