Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

how to wear a moebius

It's alpacca and silk and soft and lilac and warm as mink in heat. (ahem)
It makes a grand collar for an added layer of coziness.

But as a fascinator, it is beyond wonderful! It keeps the ears warm and holds the heat in like a nice hat, but doesn't scrunch your hair.

Cast on 100 on a 40 inch circular. Push it around to the end and pick up 100 off the back of the 100 stitches you already have on the needle. It's awkward, but possible. Keep trying!! Then, start knit one, purl one forever. You will be knitting from the center out. This is two skeins wide with a band of yo, k2tog when I got crazy bored, and an edging of ch3, sk1, sc. (yes, I frequently go to the dark side to use up the very end of a ball of yarn in a simple edging.) Tah, and might I add, DAHHHHH!!

13 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    That is beautiful! I need to sit down with small words, a quiet room and a clear brain to figure this out... not that I've not inadvertantly made a moebius-style twist while knitting before, but it was supposed to be the flat piece of a sweater. Sorry, I digress, once again, lovely.

     
  • At 6:37 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Very pretty!

    Our winter season ended pretty abruptly yesterday, so I'm already packing away my warm things. The weather this year has been so weird.

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Lovely and versatile!

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That would be perfect for me. I hate hats. They make my head itch and hood scarves just always looked dorky. This looks very Jane Austen to me.

     
  • At 7:00 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    I wonder if I could knit one out of sock yarn. My sock drawer is pretty stuffed.

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow! You look just GORGEOUS in that! Can you promise me I'll look that good if I get one :) :) :) ?

     
  • At 12:19 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That is LOVELY--I've wanted to make one of those forEVER... although the 'pick up from the back...' may just drive me to make it flat and then twist and stitch...

     
  • At 1:03 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    LURVLEY! I've tried Cat Bordhi's cast on for mobeii, but it always winds up tighter on the cast on than the rest so it doesn't lay correctly; I'll give your method a go next time.

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    I love it! Really charming! (Does anyone use "charming" as an adjective any more?)

     
  • At 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks! And now, if you only had an RSS feed, I'd be alerted when you post something new. You could come over to the REAL dark side and import your blog into wordpress. Then you COULD easily link to the chrysalis blog AND I wouldn't show up as Queers in Space. Just a thought.....

    And, since I have some lovely yarns staring at me, I may have to start a moebius thing....

     
  • At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Can you give skeins in yardage? Since I spin my own, my skeins are all catterwampus. Thanks

     
  • At 2:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful. Now if I could just learn how to say it.
    Barb

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Being a person who person who primarily knits because the family thinks I should actually DO something with all the yarn I spin, what the hell does "pick up 100 off the back of the 100 stitches you already have on the needle" actually mean. Does this require another needle? Or am I just knitting into the back? Or what? HELP!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home