Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 05, 2009

Sometimes, for no reason at all

I wake up at 5, even on a Saturday. And when I go out to get the paper, I see something like this.
I'm sure there's some way to capture the twinkle of the reflected pink glow on the snow, and I'm just not photographer enough to do it. (What is ISO anyhow?)It was so cold that my nose hairs froze, but such a lovely sunrise.

I took my cup of tea and huddled at the window, watching the progress, and occasionally popping outside for another shot of the changes. The people who take their dogs out for walks in such shattered crystal weather are heroes! Dogs make people healthy by making them walk, and cats make people healthy by breathing tiger's breath on them. Then I slipped back into bed and spent about an hour sort of snorkling on the surface of sleep, watching the pretty bright dreams swimming past, occasionally lifting my head to make sure I wasn't too far from shore . . .

When DH woke, we went out for breakfast, then headed to Sears and bought a sump pump, brought it home, and discovered the the water had subsided enough for us to turn the furnace back on, and the sump pump was not necessary. (We kept it anyhow.) Some of the heat vents bubbled like squelchious subterranean monsters, but in due time even that cleared up. So we have heat again, huzzah!!

Still, we will need to get the subfloor inspected, and the ducting will probably need to be replaced (molds and fungi love warm, dark moist places like pre-soaked heat vents.)And it looks like the budget takes another hit. WEll, we will still be richer than 98% of the world. I won't complain. If I have to give up my car, though, I'll pitch a whinefest the likes of which have not been seen since the last spoiled 13year old left the neighborhood.

In the meantime, I have finished another BSJ for the orphange. It really isn't as deformed as it looks in this photo. Just hard to get

11 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So sorry about the water event. A lot of Western Or. and Wash. share your trauma. Glad we don't live in Tillamook, but I always feel bad for the cows.
    Yeah, I tried to switch us from real-world to Botticelli, if you remember. Too much variation of opinion among friends.
    But I do think are our actions in times of economic and social distress matter, even in small things - Joan Chittister, OSB, says "Nothing we can do changes the past. Everything we do changes the future." Like all the cozy and cheerful knitted things you send the orphange - that changes the future in the way Mother Teresa talked about - small things done with love.
    Love to you, Roxie - see you Saturday.

     
  • At 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh - why no pictures of the skinny cat or the just-right cat? Not all my cats are obese!

     
  • At 4:10 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yes, tlbwest, but the obese cat was such a treat to look at!

    I love the fact that you get up at five a.m. 'just because' and 'snorkeling the surface of sleep' is going to be one of my favorite sayings! (Lovely BSJ of pink fire--some little girl is going to be VERY happy to wear that!)

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    The jacket is so sweet, like cinnamon candy.

    I'm shivering looking at your photos and thinking about your wet vent. No, I'm shivering because I'm cold and the sun just went under a cloud here.

    Must tell you I'm enjoying Sanna and the Dragons. Finally reading as everyone has finally left...

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    What a lovely sunrise. I've heard of 5 AM but rarely see it :-)

    I have a BSJ on my list of knitting for 2009. Now I know who to ask if I run in to problems! Princess pink will make some little girl feel so special.

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    Love your "design feature" on the front of the BSJ - might have to incorporate that into the one I'm planning for myself!

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Not far into my blogging career I took those same two pix, only with a different skyline, of course. Lovely!

     
  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Bummer about the heater. Love the sunrise. Its amazing to watch how the light changes.

     
  • At 8:54 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the colors in the BSJ.

    Sometimes, it seems like you'll never catch up. I agree. We're so much better of than so many folks.

     
  • At 11:58 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Isn't dawn magical?

    Love the BSJ, even if it is a little odd shaped!

     
  • At 8:51 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Your bsj echoes the colors in the sunrise. I love the early morning when I go out and get the paper and the neighborhood is silent. I stand there and just breathe. Sometimes I get to say good morning to the moon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home