Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday again already?

Sunday was gone in the flicker of a movie. The insurance adjuster came and checked our crawlspace and the sub-floor is dry! Hooray! No massively expensive reconstructions will be necessary this year. We need to change furnace filters and get the heat ducts cleaned, and the great flood of '09 can fade into the mists of memory.

So, to celebrate, we got Wall-E on demand. I'm not sure what DH thought of it. I was charmed, but not overwhelmed. I can see why it's a good kid's movie. It would also be a great movie for a deaf person or for someone who didn't speak English. The range of expression evinced by the body language of robots, was quite impressive. Of course, the use of reflections in the robot's eyes, and good old sound effects contributed a lot, too. The "larger" message available to adults was so broadly drawn, in such simple colors, that even I could get it. It had a happy ending and didn't insult my intelligence, and that's all I ask of a movie anymore. I'm done with films that are going to "Change Your Life."

I spent the early afternoon watching "Sanctuary" recordings, and ironing tablecloths and napkins, or, as a friend has called it, "polishing the linen." There is something quite satisfying in putting a nice shine on beautifully woven fine linen with your hot iron. Crisp stiff napkins will hold some lovely decorative folds. And meanwhihle, the good guys work together despite their desperate differences to overcome the evil deeds of the bad guys. "Sanctuary" has lots of sly references to early 20th century adventure literature and I always feel so tickled when I get something.

Speaking of getting something, here are pictures of two of my splendid Christmas gifts. TW, bless her thoughtful heart, gave me four hand-painted cups with 6 matching saucers. (Ah, the joys of garage sales!)



And MJ's sweet husband, RW, found this lovely dainty dragon for me. Her name, I have decided, is Daphne.



I don't collect dragons, but she just tickled my fancy. And I felt this was a delightful reference to my book, "Sanna and the Dragons." Miss Daphne Dragon may appear now an then in more photos. Obviously, the camera loves her!

8 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh yes, that is definitely Daphne! She's wonderful in a dragony lizardly sort of way.

     
  • At 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Polishing the linens - I like that. On good quality, high count linen that really is the effect.
    I'm amused that you enjoy that and not polishing silver, both of which give me pleasure.
    Would you like a charming vintage tabletop mangle for linen polishing? I have one; it's out on the peninsula right now. Great for napkins, etc., but I want to be able to do shirts and pants as well, and it is not so good for those. Glad you like the teacups. They had your name on them in great big letters...
    Love the book, by the way - I need to see if she is still blogging. Thanks!

     
  • At 4:30 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Daphne is my favorite color.

     
  • At 6:17 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    A few years back I bought a lovely linen table cloth and napkin set on ebay. When it arrived I was astonished to find that it was still in the original box, crisp and folded perfectly and that it was from the turn of the past century. I don't know the pattern, but it was a lovely buttery yellow color. I was terrified of using it though so after about a year of it sitting in our linen wardrobe I put it back on Ebay with a better description and title and made a profit. In a perfect, non-messy household I'd have used it without fear. But alas, I'm a slob with three children. Linens are such a luxury and a wonderful link to past times. I'm glad to see that you use yours so splendidly.

     
  • At 7:39 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    Daphne fits this lovely dragon. Hope to see her again :-)

     
  • At 7:56 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love linen cloths and napkins but HATE (with a hot hate) ironing them. Therefore I do not use them very often. I have less time demanding table cloths that see more regular usage. Daphne is lovely. I rather like the idea of a dainty pink dragon.

     
  • At 7:03 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    My mom has real linen tablecloths that she uses all the time. When I lived at home I used to help iron them. It is fun to see the patterns in the damask pop out as you iron them. And that wonderful hot linen smell, I love that. "Clean linen" candles are nothing like it at all.

     
  • At 12:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    'Polishing the linens'-- I like that! Now see-- I haven't heard of 'Sanctuary'--where is this series from?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home