Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 02, 2008

naked to driving in under two minutes

I have a standing appointment with the husband of a friend on Friday mornings to teach him to knit. (Oh, give me a break! We've known one another for three decades, and if we didn't do the naughty when we were juicy and attractive, we're certainly not about to now. I'm teaching him how to knit!!)

So anyhow, this morning, DH and I got up at 5AM as usual, he left for work, and I settled down to the computer. I got into the next chapter of the novel I'm writing and got lost in it. Lost. Completely lost as to time and place and reference to reality. And then, omigawd I suddenly realized that I should have been there three minutes ago and I'm still in my bathrobe.

I didn't know I could dress that fast. Thank God everything in my closet goes with everything else. I just grabbed and dragged it on. Dragged a brush through my hair then slapped on a ball cap. No makeup, no socks, no deodorant, I didn't even brush my teeth. When I got to the cafe where we meet for breakfast and lessons, I realized I was wearing one black shoe and one navy blue shoe. And I had come out without my wallet, cash, credit cards, driver's license . . . But I was only ten minutes late with a five minute drive and a three minute handicap. Which means, I was dressed and out the door in two - 2 - two minutes! Damn, I'm good!

The joy of knowing someone for thirty years is that you can laugh about these things and move on. He's catching on to knitting quite well. but he doesn't practice enough. Imagine, a 63 year old retired guy deciding to learn how to knit! It frustrates him that his fingers aren't as dextrous as mine, but we stick with it, and his muscles are learning. Grownups are less patient with the muscular learning curve. Muscles learn slowly, but they never forget. Kids expect to have to struggle and don't mind being less than perfect when they first start something new. Grownups have much less patience with themselves. We are starting with a garter stitch scarf.

On an entirely different topic, the Cinco de Maijo celebrations are underway even as we speak. The Waterfront Park is the city's front yard, and right now it is thronged with mariachi bands, taco stands, dancers in big skirts or tight pants, and any number of beer-and-tequilla-soaked gringos. I think I'll stay home, thank you!

6 Comments:

  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Catchy title! You crack me up!

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    The festivals are rolling hot and heavy down here this weekend as well, but I avoid the drunken crowd thing as much as possible. We've got a pretty warm weekend for the partyers, however.

     
  • At 10:53 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I must admit I am sick of mariachi bands. Don't like em. We lived way too close to mariachi band central in LA and at 2am when even the band is drunk, it's pretty awful to have to listen to.

     
  • At 11:52 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    But darling, I but you were stunningly mussed when you got there... (and you probably had people think you were 'knitting' in the naughty way, too!)

     
  • At 6:36 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I haven't heard much about celebrations this year. I'm pretty sure it's because I am not paying attention. They are a big thing here, too. What a great thing to teach an adult male to knit. Or an adult anyone. I think adults are often scared of trying new things because the learning curves are steeper than their patience allows for. I am reminding myself that as I spin ups lots of awful yarn. I was prepared for a long learning time so I'm ok with it.

     
  • At 8:56 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    That's the spirit! Let him make his own willy warmer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home