Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, April 04, 2008

grape hyacinths

First blooms the daphne, then the daffodils, then magnolia, and now the grape hyacinths. I have several lovely photos of them that blogger will not let me load. Grape hyacinths are sweet, humble, hardy little things, and oh so fragrant! I brought in a bunch yesterday and the whole house smells like concord grapes today. The dear flowers thrive on neglect and seem to spread all by themselves.

The yard was full of splendid aromas yesterday. AFter I lay on my belly, sniffing grape hyacinths, DH mowed the lawn for the first time this year. Someone should make that scent in a room-freshner spray. New mown lawn - Ahhhh.

This morning was another olfactory delight. It was the first morning in a while that was above freezing, and the air smelled clean and earthy and alive! It was moist and mild and good for what ails you. I wish I could package up several cubic yards of this lovely air and ship it to all my friends who are feeling poorly right now. It would restore your will to live. It would make you want to grab your beloved and run wild in the woods. (Take a blanket. It's still too cold to put your bare backside down on the dirt.)It would make you want to plant gardens and take your kids for a walk. It would make you glad to breathe.

I'm good at breathing. I think I should get paid for it. I'm very reliable. I have lots of experience at the job. I'm regular and dependable and have never taken off a day in my life. Really, isn't that worth a sizable paycheck?

4 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I do love the smell of fresh mown lawn. And I didn't realize grape hyacinths had smell. I'm going out to smell them this morning! I always thought they got their name from their color. They are all over and I love them, too. We are supposed to get more clouds and rain this weekend but right now, there is some sunshine and it looks like a beautiful morning. I can smell the wet earth through the window and see the red buds on the maple tree. Soon there will be "helicopters"!

     
  • At 4:09 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay...you've just cut my blogging time short...I"m off to the out of doors to feel the sunshine on my toes!!! (And I love the way you breathe, Roxie--I have to say that the way some of my students do it makes them more 'oxygen thieves' than 'breathers'.

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    ah, spring poetry, it's the best. love your descriptions.

     
  • At 5:50 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Breathing is ALWAYS a good thing.

    And I love the smell of a fresh cut lawn, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home