Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Saturday fun and games

I was sick for my birthday. DH was working the weekend after. The next weekend, we did some serious power napping and intensive recuperations. But this weekend, we were ready to celebrate. DH took me out to buy a garden bench for my birthday, but the only ones we could find were so cheesy! One had a painted cast metal back depicting contented cartoon hogs in a wallow. Another had a dreadful representation of a sunset with palm trees. A third had smiling playful bears, and a fourth (oh shudder) was infested with dear little bunnies. If I had gotten the dear little bunnies, I would have had to spend time painting on bandoliers and headbands and ammo vests. Anything to reduce the high-fructose corn syrupy sweetness. Guerilla bunnies might have a certain cachet. But we decided to keep shopping.


We Traveled down to the uber-chic NW 23rd ave. to hit Lush cosmetics. On the way, we passed this family of pigs that has been accumulating over the years in front of a local tavern. I finally remembered to bring my camera so I could share them with you. If these pigs were backing a garden bench, I might have gone for it.

And on the way home we passed this remarkable stand of city-owned forsythia. You can see them from across the river, creating a lovely splash of yellow in the march greyness.

Then, two blocks from our house, we saw that our neighbors had a garage sale going and they had - a roll-top desk for only two hundred dollars. With the chair on wheels! Long have I yearned for a roll-top desk - with pigeonholes and tiny drawers and the top that will generously roll down and conceal my ongoing mess. Oh I'm so glad I rejected the garden bench. I would have used a garden bench only about three months in the year, but a desk - a desk is a year-round night and day friend. I am now considering a picture, wallhanging, something perfect to hang above it. I love my new office!


The cats hate it, though. The old desk sat just under the window and was perfect perching for scanning the neighborhood. Life is tough when you're short and fluffy.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Oh my, I'm almost hyperventilating here. Ever since I was a little kid I've loved roll-top desks. My family doctor had one and its pigeon holes and potential concealment fascinated me. Perhaps I was a Shaker in another life? Either that or OCD started manifesting in early childhood! I'm in a state of Deep Envy. Definiately a brilliant option and much more fun than a garden bench : )

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It's a beautiful desk Roxie - obviously the Fates intended for you to have it!

     
  • At 5:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on the beautiful desk and chair! That's my kind of furniture.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    Wow! That's one beautiful desk.

     
  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    What a wonderful desk for stashing yarn, needles, patterns, etc.! Happy late birthday.

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    That is gorgeous. A belated happy deskday, er, birthday to you!

     
  • At 4:12 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    That is a beautiful desk. Lucky you!

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It must have been meant to be. That is a gorgeous desk. My cats hate it when we move the furniture away from the windows. I think it's awfully hard to be shorter than the windows.

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Oooo! Yarn storage!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home