Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I've been puny

Food poisoning Monday - just a touch. I made it through the testing session at the jail, but that two hour commute home was a trial. Had to stop and hurl twice, BUT didn't get any on myself or the car. The skills we learn in college return when we need them! Got home and had the magic food for a sick tummy - milk toast. The right way to make milk toast is to make two pieces of taost, spread with butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, put in a bowl, then pour about a cup of hot milk over it all and eat it with a spoon. It tells my tummy that everything is OK now. It's magic from childhood. Do you have magic cures? My niece believes in Vicks Vaporrub and red flannel on the throst for a cold. Dh makes a chicken soup that would cause the dead to rise and walk if you could get them to eat it after a bout of the flu. I have a friend that swears by going to bed in wet socks to fend off a cold. What magic cures do you use?

Tuesday, after twelve hours of sleep, I woke about four pound lighter, a bit light-headed from dehydration, and feeling SO much better!! Isn't it wonderful how good you feel after you have felt really crappy? I made it in to work and proctored GED tests for civilians, which meant lots of knitting time. The latest orphan sweater is one sleeve and a blocking away from completion. That's the grey and blueboo striped one.

Today, again I proctored GED in the jail, which means they don't let me play with pointy sticks. However, I was able to organize my week and then some. Knitting will be happening on March the 8th. It's also a party to celebrate my birthday, so you are all invited! (my birthday is 3/4/50) The theme is Country Casual. I'm serving brownies and oatmeal-raisin cookies and cupcakes and savory biscuit bites (recipe to follow) And fruit of some kind. Any suggestions? The table will be set with a variety of placemats, miscellaneous dishes, and mugs - all dishwasher safe.(the good china gets the hand-wash treatment)

Later today, I proctored pesticide tests for one of the horticulture classes. (you can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think.) This means I had fifteen minutes of preparation, twenty minutes of fairly frantic activity getting everyone started, and then an hour and fourty minutes of good knitting time. About halfway through the test I spoke into the silence and said, "This would be a good time to make sure your question number and answer number correspond. It's easy to get off by one or two as you go along." And from the back of the room, someone hissed, "Oh, shit!" I love my job!!

It was a warm. lovely day. I came home to find that, Oh joy!, the first daffodil has bloomed!

Fly, well-padded in his winter overcoat, is enjoying the mildness. Isn't this just a Prosperous cat?

The magnolia buds are beginning to swell. Ah spring! The frogs are playing huggy bumpbump in the ponds. And the young people on campus are shedding clothes as fast as they can!

13 Comments:

  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm glad that you're feeling better and that spring is coming to some less forsaken part of the world!

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh yes! Happy happy birthday on the 4th! Mine is coming up soon too.

    I love the daffs and the crocuses. Are the tulips up at all yet?

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Oh, I'm jealous. Our daffodils aren't even much sprouts yet. They're still only an inch of green above the ground. We do have a few lovely crocuses budding, though.
    As to birthday fruit, hmm... Well, I suppose it depends on what you like best. You could try a fruit salad, so that you have several kinds of fruit. One of my friend's parents makes fruit salad and then mixes it with some citrusy-wine sweetened with honey. That's only for the older kids (18+), though.

     
  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Poor girl! I cringed reading about your poor tummy adventure. (Been there, done that, etc.) Glad to know it didn't last long. Spring is certainly on it's way for you!

     
  • At 2:50 AM , Blogger Denise said...

    Oh ow ow ow, glad you're on the mend... my tummy muscles hurt just reading about it!

    I haven't ever heard of milk toast - I like the sound of that! Magic cures? Hmmmm. Hot Lemon Butter & Honey - you put (oddly enough) lemon juice, a teaspoon of butter (not marg!), and plenty of honey in a mug and pour on boiling water. Sip gently. Good for sore throats.

    Wish I could come to your birthday party, it sounds wonderful!!

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I am a firm believer in Coke Syrup. When I was little, my grandmother would pour a little over crushed ice and it always soothed an upset tummy. You can buy it at the pharmacy in the back where the drugs are. Now I usually sip coke on ice for an upset tummy but I always kept a bottle of coke syrup (yep, the stuff coca cola is made from) in the house when my girls were little. It worked every time.

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    When I'm not feeling well, I make whiskey tea. Shot of whiskey in the mug, a spoonful of honey, a squirt of lemon juice, and fill with hot water from the kettle. It puts me right to sleep and is so much tastier than nyquil :)

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I was starting to quote Yeats at you, but then it occurred to me that after this long winter (we've had at least some snow on the ground since mid-November) I could use some sensual music. Bring it on, Georgia!

     
  • At 12:22 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Happy happy birthday... and what pretty pretty pictures... (I especially like the idea of frogs playing 'huggy bump'--and I do know about young people shedding clothes...

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    58 aren't we great!!!

     
  • At 6:43 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Glad you're feeling better but it sure takes it out of you.

    Magic cures, which one depends on the ailment: Lipton chicken noodle soup; the kind with the chicken meat ~ grilled Cheddar cheese sandwich ~ cold chocolate milk made with Hershey's syrup ~ strawberry ice cream with real strawberries

    Your birthday is the same as Sweetie's. He was born in '46. Happy early birthday!!

     
  • At 6:46 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    If I've got a dry cough (you know, the tickle that makes your eyes water when you try to suppress the cough) and no fluid in my chest, my favourite cough suppressant would have to be apple juice heated up with a sprig of fresh rosemary in it. The oils of the rosemary seep into the apple juice and it's like you've coated your throat in velvet. Oh, and it tastes a whole lot better than sennegar and ammonia.

     
  • At 7:14 AM , Blogger Shan said...

    Glad you're feeling better. Mike's birthday is on the fourth as well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home