Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 15, 2008

At last, some time to sew!

My vest is done! Yayyyy! The colors are sooo purty. Unfortunately, it still lacks a bit in elegance of construction. But unless you get your hands on it, you'll never know. I mean, if you are checking out the way I finished the neck, you're looking wayyy too closely at my clothes.
This is garb with pizazz. I can pizazz all over in this!

So now the machine is set up, and there are some pink and purple scraps sort of calling out to me. . . Sewing is as bad as knitting for me when it comes to using up the scraps, because I get started, and then I need just another yard of something - oh, - red maybe, to make it perfect! Off to Joanne's. I have never come out of Joanne's with just a yard of fabric. All the pretty colors and patterns go straight to my head and hog-tie my common sense. I went in for a yard of purple to finish this nice vest, and came out with $13 worth of coral and orange and sage green and red-orange fat quarters to go with some coral-colored left-over fabric MJ has that has been destined for another joint-venture quilt. Oh, and a yard of purple. So now I have a pile of happy, sunny callypso colors, playing tiny steel drums, dancing and singing and drinking cuba libres while they wait to be cut and sewn. Every time I walk by them, I hear little cotton voices singing "Day-o. Dayayay-o. Daylight come and me wan go home. . ." And not far from them are a pile of pink and purple scraps starting to form a conga line of their own . . .

Knitting is going on, though. I should be at a photo-op spot by tomorrow. Tammy MommyBird had a contest in which I won a skein of Blue Moon yarn. I believe it was considered something of a mistake. It was named "Blue-boo." I loves it! Not enough for a child's sweater alone, but with a little charcoal gray Cascade for contrast, we are rockin'!

Speaking of which, I still have to sit down and watch Dance Wars that DH recorded for me on Monday. I'll tell you, Bruno is no Fred Astaire.

Happy weekend!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That is one rockin' vest--ah, someday I will sew again, but for now, I shall simply admire your creations... (and make plans to send you lots of my sewing stash...)

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    one, two, three, kick, one, two, thr . . . oh, sorry . . . Better the Conga and steel drums than "Pathetique" . . .

    Very cool vest! I am just agog (again!) about how you can sit down with a buncha fabric and come out with such a snazzy piece.

     
  • At 7:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That really is a wonderful vest. I like how you have that up and over thing going, very nice. Is that one of your weaving patterns that you used? And the pockets are a great touch. Love me some pockets.
    It's the perfect vest to wear walking in the garden.

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Blogger TinkingBell said...

    Love the S.E.X (stash enhancement expedition) gorgeous yarn!!! love the Kalahari one! and I totally understand - I hardly get to sew these days (or for the last 5 years) but the local haberdasher has been having $5 a metre quilting fabrics and every time I go past they have new ones and its half a metre here and a metre there! As if I need more stash! But your vest is beautiful!

     
  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I had to read your description of the "little cotton voices singing Dayo" to the Professor. That's rich rich writing, as intoxicating as pina coladas on the beach.

    Love the vest!

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I have had the quilting urge for so long. I have some books and patterns and I know how to sew. I think I'm waiting for some fabric to sing to me. When I go to the store, I pick them up and put them back down. I guess I'm not ready enough yet.

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I have had the quilting urge for so long. I have some books and patterns and I know how to sew. I think I'm waiting for some fabric to sing to me. When I go to the store, I pick them up and put them back down. I guess I'm not ready enough yet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home