Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, February 22, 2008

fun at the pond

I am teaching my dear friend Dennis how to knit. We meet on Friday mornings at Sully's for wonderful food, truely superlative company, and a session of, "Through the door, around the back, through the window, and off jumps Jack!" He is persistent and therefore improving rapidly. I am trying to persuade him to join our next knitting group, or if not that, then the one after. He gets along with women better than any man I've ever known. At parties, Dennis used to wind up in the kitchen with the women, taklking politics and recipes, and I wound up in the livingroom with the guys telling dirty jokes. He would add a lot to our knit-alongs.

After we parted, I took myself down to the local wetlands. (What, you don't have a neighborhood wetland? Quelle bummer! Everyone oughta have a nearby swamp and duckerie.) At first, the only creature brave enough to approach me was a stolid little mallard hen.

When I began sharing a stale biscuit with her, the freeloading boyfriend showed up.

And then the big kids came around. A couple of Canadian Geese. By then, my stale biscuit was gone, and they became quite incensed, yelling and scolding me for wasting good food on the small fry. Pretty soon, another couple of Geese came around, and the two males spent a bit of time hissing and making snakey necks at one another. Then with raised wings and out thrust heads, they rushed at one another and tumbled into the pond, buffetting and biting. The females followed frantically honking and fluttering, and then it was over and the couples swam in different directions with many insulting tail twitches and a great deal of loud invective.

After they left, a nutria waddled out of the pond to see if there were any crumbs left. He was quite fearless and about the size of a very large cat - maybe 20 pounds or so. Nutria are a South American water rat, imported by someone with a notion of farming them for their pelts. Then the big fur boycot hit, so the idjit just realeased them into the wild. They quite like it here and do any ammount of damage to the riparian zones.

He obligingly showed me his big orange teeth. All the better to eat saplings with, my dear.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The erstwhile fur-ranchers of the virtual Appalachia where I grew up - the hills behind the metropolis of Lebanon, OR - released the critters long before political correctness. Turned out the opportunity of a lifetime was pretty much a scam - you bought the critters from some outfit but the promised market for pelts didn't exist. Nutria hung out around our pond along with the native muskrats. I believe my brother and his friends tricked us into eating some once. Fishy. Ground squirrel on the other hand - gray digger - that was tasty. Tree squirrel not so much.
    Yes, squirrels eat bulbs, but they tend to prefer lilies and tulips to daffs.
    Can I get in on your next outing with Dennis?

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Orange teeth?!?!?! Did you Photoshop that???? Good heavens!

     
  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Doncha just shudder at the nutria?? When I lived in Hillsboro, I'd see them at the Rood Bridge Park ponds. Don't like them!

    Oh yes! I have wetlands! Out by the beach. The sun is shining today after yesterday's rain, so I shall grab the Professor and go see me some wildlife.

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have another thought about the unexpected daffs. The do grow from seed. It takes quite awhile - several years - for a bulb to reach blooming size. So maybe sometime along the way seedpods that were ripe enough ended up in that spot...and, this year, a surprise for you. Good stuff.

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a lovely day--we stopped and looked at the ducks last Sunday--didja know short people can spend HOURS waving at the ducks?

    (Great shot at the nutria, btw--but don't you think they need another name? Furry nuisance? Fusance? Parse--short for pain-in-the? Reekle, short for 'rabies vehicle'. I don't know--I just think 'nutria' is graceful and sweet, and from what you've told me about these vermints, they're not.)

     
  • At 7:48 AM , Blogger Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

    Oh..does that thing bite? LOL. I swear I saw a yarn somewhere that had Nutria as one of the components...I did not know what that was.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home