Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I am an alien

"Hogswatch came around, marking the start of another year. And with alarming suddenness, nothing happened." Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Somehow, this whole arbitrary cut off date for the year just doesn't resonate for me. If it were the solstice or the equinox or something that actually happens, maybe I could see making a fuss. It's rather as if the powers that be have declared that, "OK, this is the time everyone stays up too late, drinks too much, and decides to do better next year."

Why should I lose my precious sleep? The year is just as new when I wake up at 6am as it was at 12:01. Needless to say, no festivities were held or celebrated at Chez Matthews. And, since it's a dry day, we plan on doing a bit of yard work today. Woohoo.

Mind you, I am not complaining. I do not want to live in interesting times, nor do I need crisis and danger to feel alive. I am cuddled on the couch with a purring cat on my chest and a laptop on my knees, and I am very glad to be alive and moving,loved and dry and warm and well fed. Life is very, very good!

And may it be very, very good for you, too, with or without resolutions, re-assessments, and self-improvement programs. Don't worry. Be happy. Knit on with hope and joy.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I guess I am an alien. We chose bed and sleep and bingo, the new year started anyway. I'm all for celebrating the solstice. Maybe I'm not an alien, but a pagan? Hmm, that's not so bad. I'll have to pull out the tarot cards and see what the new year holds for me.

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I don't celebrate late on Dec 31st either. I need my sleep or I'm grumpy and I don't like being grumpy.
    We managed to stay up to celebrate the new year in Phoenix, although we live in Los Angeles.
    2008 will likely be an interesting and eventful year for us with our boy in a combat zone and with a grandbaby showing up. We do what we have to do. Knit and cuddle up in the midst of it all.

     
  • At 5:19 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    An alien after my own heart. Today looks pretty much the same as yesterday, except that there are a number of college kids hanging around wanting roast pork, baked apples, and tiramisu. Back to work in the morning. Ugh.

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yup. I'm a alien too. Can you knit with three attenuated fingers and no opposable thumb? I think we shall find out...

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I'm with you on the not wanting to live in interesting times. I want a VERY BORING life and strive to make it so.

     
  • At 11:32 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Oh very nice. Well said. When my life is calm and settled, I get a bit worried that it's supposed to be more than that. But it doesn't have to be. I like your thoughts.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home