Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, December 27, 2007

tropical dreams


Here is DH, enjoying a motorboat ride in St. Lucia. People who know DH will be surprised to hear that he enjoyed a boat ride. DH is someone who usually can get seasick on a wet lawn. But here you see him in a bouncing little boat and suffering no ill effects. He is wearing Sea Bands which are elastic wristlets with a small plastic button the triggers an accupressure point in the wrist. He has been taking Bonine. And every night, when I would go to the sushi stand for my dose of raw fish, he would eat some pickled ginger. Whatever it was that worked, it worked well! This is a happy place for me to go to when I'm cold and sad. Tropical dreams.

More sunshine.
Dominica (NOT the Dominican Republic) is a volcanic island with three hundred and 365 rivers - "One for every day of the year. On leap year, we go to the beach." The longest river is eleven miles long. Clear as a baby's soul and purely rainwater fresh. It rains every day in Dominica. Not everywhere, and not all day long, but everyday, somewhere. Potable water is not a problem here. Finding arabal land is. As with many volcanic countries, the the land is all crumpled up. If you flattened Dominica out, it would probably be the size of Cuba. As it is, you could walk around the whole island in a couple of days. The people are poor. The country is beautiful, and there is almost no tourist development. If you want to go somewhere beautiful, peaceful and with nothing to do but relax, look into Dominica.
Faithful fans of LOLcats know that the walrus is looking for his bukket. As you can see, he even stopped in to check out our cabin. (For $14.95, you can buy a book from Carnival Cruise Lines showing you how to make a variety of towel animals just like the ones the stewards leave in your cabin every night.) I do not dream of a wandering walrus. Does anyone?

5 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Tonight I'll try to dream of a wandering walrus...he'll certainly be a lot more fun than my dreams of defeating the laundry monster with an ak-47 and a barge pole. Wonderful picture of DH--almost enough to make my feet warm in this godsbedamned cold grayness that is December in NorCal.

     
  • At 3:55 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Okay, I've never seen a towel walrus yet. Maybe week after next when we go on our cruise. (Ready to run away from winter to the warm sun and waves.) Good for DH!

     
  • At 4:53 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Only cabin stewards would dream of a wandering walrus.

    I want to go to Dominica! Even better than SoCal today! It has been cold and damp with marine layer clouds. That's what I get for living 10 miles from the ocean.

     
  • At 5:30 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    coo coo ca choo

     
  • At 7:54 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Now you have to make a towel bucket...When my husband has socks that are too long in the toe, he calls them "sock walruses". I'm not sure why but it has become a joke in our house.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home