Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Roxie's got a brand new bag!

Way back last spring, I sent Dave Daniels some white yarn in exchange for his glorious hand-dyed Cabin Cove yarn. Then I offered to weave some of his hand-spun, hand dyed. When he sent me his yarn, he also returned some of my yarn with a dye job on it. Since I had the weaving mojo up and running, I used that yarn for my warm-up work and turned out a nice runner. I stuck it in with Dave's Christmas cookies. He used it to make me a bag of many colors, like Sanna's bag that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. If I were as generous and open-hearted as Dave, I would embroider white cats on it and send it back to him. But he's a better man than I am, and I am keeping this little jewel!!


Look at the wonderful brass clasp! Look at the meticulous stitching! Look at how perfectly the design makes the fabric happy!

























Look at the glorious, PURPLE lining!! Isn't it just to die for? And better yet, this is not just any ordinary flat little bag such as my skills would be capable of creating. This bag is above and beyond that. This bag has pockets! I can find my cell phone! I can find a pen. I could even keep a little notebook in a pocket to write down all the stuff that falls out of my fallow brain.



The strap is tightly braided lining fabric. The bag makes me smile all over my face! Thank you, Dave.






Also new in my life is a garden window. I know, this is a lot like giving a kennel full of puppies to an alligator. I have such a black thumb that I have been known to kill plastic ivy. But DH wanted me to have it, and I can deny him nothing. Now, I stand in front of it, hypnotized by the light and the space, and wonder what to put in it. Part of me says, "Succumb to the inevitable and just put in cat beds." Part of me longs to promote something green and growing. What would be happy in a shaded west-facing window? What is hardy and thrives on neglect? What would endure kitties? (How about a big spikely cactus for the little crapweasles?)

7 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM , Blogger Tara said...

    I think the answer is carniverous plants. There are some locals who sell these hardy wonders at saturday market and through their website http://cobraplant.com/index.php

    All you have to do is make sure that their tray of water is always full. Deep container = less frequent checking.

     
  • At 10:38 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    There are some lovely succulents that thrive on the water in the air...actually watering them kills them donedeadgone. I think those are your plants, Roxie--I think there is a whole batch of them at Home Depot, just waiting to be crapped on by the kitties:-) And Dave? That is a lovely, lovely bag--and we all know you couldn't have given it to a lovelier person:-)

     
  • At 12:57 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Roxie, and Dave,
    That is the most amazing bag! I love it!

    About the window. I recommend christmas cactus. I don't think the cats will eat it. If you neglect it sufficiently it will, like mine, bloom its little heart out during all the different seasons, except maybe christmas.

     
  • At 2:18 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    What a beautiful and special bag!

    Love the window garden thingy .. I'm not a great gardener either, so things I don't kill? Fuchsia, succulents, mint ...

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How about a small, horizontal stained glass panel at the top, to add some color. And cat beds on the bottom. Then, you can still enjoy the outdoor greenery when it happens, but will still have color (stained glass) and the kitties can enjoy it, too. (And those are all no-maintenance solutions.)
    Oh, and I'm so glad you like the bag.

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    The bag is gorgeous! What a fabulous collaboration.

    And I like Dave's window idea, too.

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I second the Christmas cactus idea. They're nearly impossible to kill, they give you lots of feedback (read: months of warning) when they need water, and they are gorgeous when they bloom.

    My cats mostly leave them alone, too.

    I have a few outside, I'll send you some cuttings and instructions.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home