Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, November 04, 2007

building castles with my writing blocks

November is a time when writers are encouraged to overcome their blocks. First was NaNoWriMo. The National Novel Writing Month in which people agreed to write a fifty thousand word novel in one month. It's do-able, but only if you just sit down and write without letting your inner critic have a say in the matter. It's totally OK to write fifty thousand really bad words. (but you won't. There are bound to be some brilliant things that get discovered after you have finally thrown out all the garbage.) It gives you experience with writing to deadlines and with taking your writing seriously. If you actually DO get your novel written, (Even if you have written, "I can't do this," twelve thousand, five hundred times.) you are invited to a big NaNoWriMo party with others who have succeeded. I hear that these are pretty astounding parties. I've never gone, though I have written a novel in a month. (I was sitting with my mom and daytime TV is mind-numbing, so I got in two thousand words a day and revisions over one long August.)

And now is the NaBloPoMo for bloggers. I can't participate in this one because I know I will be unable to post on Mondays or Wednesdays, and the rules stipulate that you post to your blog every day. But it's a great exercise even if I can't do it. (Skiing is great exercise, too, and I'm never gonna do THAT!)

What I have is marketing block. But I have promised myself a lottery ticket each time I mail off three query letters to agents and/or editors. You can't win if you don't buy a ticket is my motto for November.

Great suggestions for the presents for DH. I'm gonna go with them!

T&PW gave him a welding unit one year, and he has enjoyed it thouroughly. In fact, the son of a friend is asking for welding lessons now. Seems he crossed a fence with the family car and the fence needs repair.

Other great gifts have been a quilt I made for him before we were married, two gold coins I sold my diamond earrings to buy (I don't care for sparkling stones, and the earrings were a relic from my first marriage.) and a weekend at the beach that turned out to be incredible. (A warm, calm weekend in mid-November? We lay in the hot tub with the waves breaking wildly in front of us and a full moon rising behind us. It was amazing!!) Nothing I can count on duplicating now. And the problem with buying tools is getting the right tools. Much as I love yarn, I don't want $50 worth of acrylic, and he doesn't want just any old implement of destruction to plug in and make noise with. Though maybe, if I could find a flame-thrower . . .

9 Comments:

  • At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Like anything in life, you gotta play to win. If you don't market your novel, who's going to know it's there?
    But good luck with the novel in a month. It's great way to just WRITE, and not worry about any of the (self-imposed?) limitations like grammar, making sense, continuity, etc. Sort of like the comment!

     
  • At 1:33 PM , Blogger Norma said...

    Yoohooo! Roxie! I'm looking for blog fodder, right? I'm a BloHo, or whatever you want to call it. When are you going to send me your "suggested" interview questions? Heh.

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You could always try withholding chocolate from yourself until you've mailed those three query letters... Or whatever necessity of life that would work. If I didn't allow myself to read anything whatsoever until I did thus-and-so, man, would I get things done!

    Um, no; I have no intention of putting that plan into operation. [g] But I generously offer you the chance at it. ::snicker::

    More seriously, good luck!

     
  • At 9:20 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I know about that 'marketing block'--it's so easy to just cros yo ur arms in front of you and say, "Well, dammit, I wrote the stupid thing--shouldn't the world be jumping at my feet to buy it?" I sent a query out to Tom Doherty & Asso. this month. That should feed the false hope fires for at least four months...

    and as for DH--there's always the 'special us coupon--redeemable later', or a night at a nearby B &B--just far enough away to make a good day trip, but not far enough away to make the trip a pain in the ass...

     
  • At 1:36 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I know a little about how you and DH met, and I think it would make a great novelette.
    About the flame-thrower--no, no flamethrower. I read your poem about the burning of the tree branches. heheh. Like the two of you need a flame thrower for an excuse...And it is my favorite poem.

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    A flame-thower! Who could not be happy with that!

    Go! Go! Go! with the query letters! You have to use whatever "carrot" works for you.

     
  • At 11:09 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    The best prezzie I ever got H.I. was a kitchen blowtorch, which is usually used for caramelising sugar on top of a creme brulee. He thought it was really cool and now this desert is his specialty when we have a dinner party. This would seem to cover a couple of the things that you guys enjoy!

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Oh definitely the flame thrower. My husband wants a kitchen torch so badly and he doesn't like creme brulee so what he would burn with it, I don't know. I'm afraid to ask. He just says,"you know, stuff".

     
  • At 11:17 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    I love this blog, by a friend of a friend, who is a creativity coach, and has some wonderful essays and ideas on writing and art and riding motorbikes! You might find some inspiration there :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home