Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mystery batt



Great title for Halloween season, isn't it? This is what I'm spinning right now. There's some green sparkly stuff, and pinky / plummy wool of some kind, and some light colored soft stuff . . . See, Fantasy Fibers cards several batches of fibers before they clean the carding drums. Then they peel the mixed fiber remainders out of the teeth, bag 'em up, and sell them inexpensively to people like me who don't care about repeatable skeins or a sweater's worth of perfect yarn.
And here is is bobin of singles with a dime for scale. I think it's going to make pretty yarn. Still thinking about adding seed beads. That yarn could make some cool hats. Maybe a hat and scarf set if it's soft enough. Knit it loose and felt it for a bag - vest - jacket? Let's see how much yarn I wind up with. There are two more batts after this one.
The sun and wind and dry air are just exhilerating! I want to yell into the wind and roll in the dry leaves. Dry leaves! Man, dry leaves are awesome!! They crunch and crackle under foot and fly around like confetti when you kick them. I'm about ready to fall down on the lawn and make leaf angels. Squeeee! If autumn were like this more often, I would cease to dread it.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I don't remember where Northwest Wools in Multnomah Village got its bagged up leftovers, but they called it "beast".
    My spinning wheel belt is still broken, gotta get the professor to help me weld the new one. tis the season for spinning.

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    How much fun is that? It's like...like reaching into a goody bag with your top five favorite things in it! Wool, spinning, knitting, surprises...well, four favorite things!

     
  • At 6:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love that. How cool is it to have a surprise ending. The colors look pretty. This spinning think looks interesting. I can just hear my husband now, "not another cult activity!" And after two days of drenching, soaking, chill your bones rain, today is almost painfully bright and clear and cool. As soon as the leaves dry out, I am going to walk down the street and kick them all over. I love that, too.

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Doggone it, you're really making me wish I'd bought some of that! [g] This despite the fact I have no need for-- Uhm, whateverit'dturnouttobe. LOL.

    Although I just remembered I have two bags of batts I got years ago from Patternworks that look quite a lot like that. Oh dear. ;)

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I love dry leaves. I'm dry leaf scuffer. I will always out of my way to scuff through the leaves (and snow . . . and sometimes, even puddles!) I am so weird!

    You keep warning me away from this stuff, spinning, dying, weaving and yet you tempt me with this magic on your blog.

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger Susan said...

    Autumn is the best season in New England. It's hard to imagine anyone dreading it. I suppose you normally just have wet, wet, wet sloppy piles of leaves that you can't even blow with a leaf blower and need to wear fishing gear to rake and scoop up. Dry leaves smell awesome too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home