Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Crazy about pumpkins?

Was it Jejune who remarked that Americans are crazy about pumpkins? Dear Heart, pumpkins are but the tip of the iceberg. Americans are crazy about Halloween. Every child MUST have a costume and go trick-or-treating. Even teenagers, who ought to be old enough not to want to, cling to this tradition and wander the neighborhood in creatively costumed packs. (In our safe little suburb, anyhow. I know many sections of the city where it's not safe to go out at all. Parents take the tykes to the mall to trick-or-treat the merchants and play in their costumes.) Adults often go to work in costume. I know I do every chance I get. The year I showed up as a chocolate mousse was a trying one for my boss because I still had knock-out legs, and I was wearing a brown leotard and tights with festoons af white net ruffles to portray whipped cream. And I had moose horns. This year I may wear a black dress and go as that 1930s movie star because I look like Helen Black.


Americans spent more on Halloween decorations than on Christmas decorations last year. People buy decor and knick-nacks for the home, and go whole hog on their front yards. Yesterday was astoundingly warm and sunny, so I took a quick stroll around. In a five square block area I found: This endearing seasonal vignette,







This inflatable extravaganza, including the green goblin mouth to walk through on the way to the treats,










and a blow-up "snow" globe that lights up to show the little white bats swirling madly around inside whenever the pump is turned on.




And then there are the do-it-yourself over-achievers who go for the ghastly graveyard effect. The tombstones are styrofoam and paint. Quite effectively spooky looking.
If you enlarge the photos, you can read some of the entertaining "names" on some of the stones.

And here you can sort of see the ghost floating inside the window.



This was my favorite tombstone. "Why is the rest of the landing party wearing a different colored shirt?"



As I said, it was a glorious day. The local maple trees are doing their best to celebrate.




I don't know what kind of maples these are. Big leaf maybe?


Oh, and here's the new haircut after a walk. I no longer look like a sheepdog. Now I look more like a cross between a bloodhound and an albino schnauzer. Ah for the highly pigmented days when I looked like an Irish setter!

9 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, love all the photos! The landing party tombstone is perfect! And did you notice that hanging tree has some limbs growing straight up in a rather weird manner? This strikes me as suspicious. [g] Whoever lives in this house would've gotten along great with my Dad, who did some really neat stuff for Halloween. (I'll have to write a post on it.) I like the touch with the spotlights for individual tombstones. ;)

    No idea on those maple leaves, but man, they are huge! And hey; I like the haircut. Perhaps a bit windblown after your walk, but it's a style you can just run your fingers through and it'll fall back into place...and boy, does it show off your gorgeous, big blue eyes!

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You live in such a fun neighborhood--it looks so very Norman Rockwell! I'm thinking of taking the little ones to the mall this year, just for something different, but Chicken wants to take them around the neighborhood so they can be 'seen'. (She's so proud!)

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. MamaMia and her Tim have their bags packed and the kitty carrier ready. They are only a couple of blocks from the voluntary evac line in Chula Vista. Their pastor and familiy left last night, as did Southern Belle and her Navy hubby.

     
  • At 3:24 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    Oh goodness, people really do go mad for it, don't they? I really, really don't get it but then I guess I'd have to experience it! Love that goblin mouth and the headstones are fantastic. Perhaps it's the equivalent of people spending thousands on covering their house with fairy lights here. Do folks do that in the US?

    Nice hair cut!

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Yes, bells, we spend lots of money on lights for all the holdays. I have to admit, I am a sucker for holiday lights of any kind. It warms the heart when the days are getting shorter and the nights seem so dark and long to see the lights shining in the night. I think you can never have too many lights. And roxie, the hair cut looks great. The good thing about blonde hair is that it kinda fades but still looks nice. If I gave up my haircolor habit, I would be completely grey and somehow I am not ready for that yet. So, I will continue to keep L'Oreal in business 'cause I'm worth it.

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    There are a lot of houses decorated here but none as stylish as the ones you show. I decorate for fall, not for Halloween. Haven't given anything out for the last couple years -- a little tired of the whole thing after all those kids I had who went trick-or-treat and candy crazy. Maybe I'll give stuff out this year. Maybe little bags of preztels. Heheh.

     
  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    Great pictures. I have to admit, I've never been one for Halloween, even as a kid, but I'm trying to get into it more for the sake of the girls.

     
  • At 3:53 AM , Blogger Denise said...

    LOL, yes it was me... I lived in the States when I was a kid (4-10), and more recently for a few years, and can confirm that Halloween is a little bit INSANE. And great fun :) I've always enjoyed it... it's a pity it's not such a big thing here. For a start the season is all wrong (Halloween in Spring, anyone?)... we sometimes get 3 or 4 kids coming to the door for trick or treat, but that's all, and no-one dresses up their house.

    When we lived in Boulder, and my kids were little, we made a whole skeleton out of recycled milk jugs - Mr Bottle Bones. He was brilliant!

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I am always so far behind the rest of you in my blog reading and commenting.

    Anyway, love the de-banged haircut.

    Your photos are a treat.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home