Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, October 20, 2007

knitters know how to party!


I call them the Portland Purls - the wise, wonderful, funny knitters (and embroiderers) who are kind enough to gather at my house for conviviality. This month, it took a joint effort to pull the party off. I provided the house (relatively cleaner than it usually is, though the board of health might still find cause for complaint.) I set out table cloth and china. I even invented a napkin fold for the occasion.


Because I had never done it before, I seeded a couple of pomegranates. You immerse the critter in a bowl of cold water and break it apart between your hands, pushing the seeds loose. The seeds (arils)sink, the membranes float. Throw away the water, serve the arils. Yum! Also red bartlet pears and green grapes, and curried chicken salad sandwiches.

TW co-hosted. She baked a bounty for us!! Scones, brownies, pumpkin bread and world-class biscotti. Looks like an earthly garden of gustatory delights, doesn't it? It WAS!!



Eight of us gathered, feasted, knitted, and had a go-lorius time! Usually it runs from 10 till 12, but we kept nattering till past 1 because it was just so fun. With 8 people, it's small enough that one person can talk and everyone else can listen, or, you can break into cluster chats of two or three and no one need feel left out. Life is good, and friends make it better! And when everyone had left and I was taking out the crusts to throw to the crows, I found a four leaf clover. Life is very good indeed.

10 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Your napkins look great, the food delicious and the table, elegant. Where are my purls?

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    That sounds so lovely. We are looking for some local knitters to get together with. We just heard of a lys that has weekly get togethers and are going to check them out. I do like the idea of meeting and having lunch. Knitting, eating and laughing. What more is there?

     
  • At 7:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Looks & sounds like a wonderful time.
    I love pomegranates - I eat them with dark clothes on, a few at a time as I pick them out.

     
  • At 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What an elegant setting, what a decadent selection of goodies, what a wonderful time! The perfect good time on a rainy fall day; thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    HOw wonderful--I'm so glad you got to have some sweet time with friends. That's really--and it's always good when someone else bakes!

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Thanks for sharing your day with the Portland Purls!

     
  • At 8:40 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    What a wonderful party. Thanks for sharing it.

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    We certainly do. Yours looks scrumptious.

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    You always set up teh cutest, girliest tea parties :)

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    looks marvellous!

    one question though - what about the pomegranate juice? Did you lose it all because of the way you de-seeded it? Here's what I do. I learned this from Nigella Lawson.

    Cut it in half, invert a half over a wide bowl, give it a bit of a squeeze to release the juice then bash the back of it with a wooden spoon. The seeds rain down! They always need a bit of closer work to get the last ones out, but it's a good start with the bashing!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home