Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Taps.

I took the lap top in to the Geek Squad today and they kindly told me that my dinosaur has begun to fossilize. What I have now is essentially an elaborate electronic paperweight. Rest in peace, old laptop.

Moreover, when I asked about a new laptop, the nice Geek told me about Windows Vista, and how things will probably be much better after the first of the year when windows comes out with all the fixes. So, I may be blogging without photos for a few months. Will you love me anyway?

To see some wonderful photos in the meantime, go to 5elementknitr.blogspot.com. Or check out cabin cove. Dave takes such good photos that he has picture goodness just oozing out of his pores and puddling up around his feet.

In common with most of the people I know, I had a burst of tidyituss today and took apart the pile of boxes in the garage for recycling. It took only 90 minutes or so to flatten and bale them. To cut the string, I used the switchblade I found in the grass at the fair one year. I keep it for cutting string because it feels so "cool" and "tough." It's a crappy little knife and more dangerous to the holder than to anyone on the other side. But it flicks out with a very satisfying snick, and it's almost sharp enough to cut cotton string. I just have to saw at it a little.

The people next door to us have covered their lawn with that spider web stuff, and set up a remote-control spider about the size of a pug dog that will run out from behind the bushes at the flick of a switch. I'm such a piker! I have only three nice little jack-o-lanterns. They're very good jack-o-lanterns, but not a touch on the stuff the rest of the neighbors are doing. Oh well, if the kids don't want to bother with our house, it means more candy for us. We got two thirty-bar selections from the Mars candy company. Thank you Costco!

Hope your holiday is safe and sweet.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:15 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    NOOOOO!!! If you can help it DO NOT GET VISTA!! NO NO NO NO AND NO! See if you can get XP or 2000 even 98 is better than VISTA!!! Heck bite the bullet and put Linux on there (Unbunto / Fedoera). Whatever you do DO NOT GET VISTA!!!

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Now that I'm off my soapbox, I can fluff my hair, roll my shoulder and go about my business.

    I always thought you looked a little on the dangerous side. It's all a facade, isn't it. Designed to lull us into complacency then you'll hit us all up for our special deep stash yarn — the just-to-be-petted-and-not-ever-knit yarn.

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    As long as you keep writing, I'll come read. Please do not spread the word to my laptop that computers occasionally die. It is not supposed to find that out for at least another TEN years.

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What warrior knitter said. Go to an independent local geek (as opposed to someplace like Circuit City - I mean, c'mon, we're the Silicon Forest, independent shops litter the ground here). They'll put what you want on the computer, instead of the pre-packaged blurph. Tell 'em you want a laptop with XP Pro, Service Pack 2 for the operating system, which by now, has most (most) of the bugs worked out. Vista is mostly cosmetic changes, from what I hear, and a lot of new bugs. And frankly, they'll still be fixing it up to the time the next version of Windows rolls out. In about 3-4 years, it might be working pretty well... Anyway, we'll love you without pix, no worries!

    A remote-control spider? LOL!

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ditto to what's been said already, and I work in the IT dept at work. DO NOT GET VISTA! XP Pro, SPII. And you can probably get a good deal, too, on many of the models with XP on it that are still available and going strong. The sales people at the big box stores have incentives to sell the newest things on the market. Don't fall for it.
    As for reading you, not to worry. You're here = we're here.

     
  • At 7:02 AM , Blogger The Queen of the Snow Cows said...

    I'm sorry to hear about the laptop. I'm still in the dreaming of getting a laptop phase. I'm a sucker for playstation and because of that I have no laptop cash. :)

    I'd pass on Vista as well. In fact, the place where I work will not buy a computer that has Vista on it because it is so buggy and unreliable.

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    (Me, hand over heart, eyes downcast...farewell, old friend, you have served us well...)

    And of course I will love you without pictures...and I can't wait to see what you do when you get pictures at last!!!!

     
  • At 9:05 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    I've always been a Mac girl, from a Mac family - and now that we have a PC (for mobile phone game development, which can't be done on any other platform), I have real-life confirmation of why I'll ALWAYS be a Mac girl.

    Good luck with the laptop!

    I like the sound of your 'only three' little pumpkins :)

     
  • At 9:18 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Now I catch up on my blog reading and find out that I could have had a remote-controlled spider. The scariest thing I saw last night was a very realistic GWB mask. The funniest was the twins who mow my lawn doing the Blues Brothers.

    Requiesce in pace, laptop Roxii.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home