Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, October 28, 2007

My laptop has died of old age.

Four years ago DH insisted I needed a laptop computer, so we went down to Gateway and got the est deal we could find. He was right, of course. I really did need it, and it has been such a useful tool for the whole trying to get a book published thing. Today, I turned it on, and I could hear it power up, but the screen was black. I repeated the process, with and without battery, electricity, accessories, and anything else I could think of. I carred it to different corners of the house, thinking maybe the anti-communication curse had expanded. Next comes a pitiful trip to the friendly Geek Squad.. If they can't help me, I will need to start shopping again. I hate this. You spend a ton of money on something and in no time at all, you have to go out and spend a ton of money to replace it because it broke. Four years! FOUR YEARS, people! Is this reasonable? Yes, I know it's an antique in terms of technology, but shouldn't I be able to expect at least half a decade from an appliance? A toaster lives about 20 years if you clean the crumb tray now and then. My Honda Civic is still running around the neighborhood and it's twenty years old this year. Why should my laptop flop and die at four measley years?

Anyhow, no photos till I can - omygawd. All the stuff saved on the laptop. All my pictures! Ohh, I'd better bake up a batch of brownies to bribe the nice Geeks. On CSI they retrieve stuff from computers that have been through fires. Surely they can retrieve my photos.

I can't do a thing about this till Tuesday. I am putting it out of my mind. firmly. At least all the writing, well, most of the writing, Well, a lot of the writing is saved on CDs. (Note to self: finish that job now!!)

So anyhow, I'm doing a mem from Norma. Got to page 165 (I think) of the book you are reading and type the fifth line on the page. I'm going to type the wole sentence. The book is, The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. "Each weed-free strip is as smooth and flat as a tabletop, leveled with a laser so that the custom-built harvester can snip each leaf at precisely the same point."

This is so unlike me, to be reading a thought-provoking, non-fiction book. Usually I'm hip-deep in fantasy or a mystery or a good hysterical romance. (Ummm, historical romance I meant to say. ) Why this heavy, serious change of pace? I dunno. It was reccommended and I gave it a try. It's well written, but it tells me lots of stuff I don't want to know about most of the food I like to eat. I intend to follow it with the latest Dick Francis novel, written in collaboration with his son.

Yesterday, DH and I stopped at an estate sale where I bought two china teacups and a book. Simple Sweaters the Straight Line Way by Farm Craft Press. Published in 1981. It's a sweater recipe book, and pretty nifty. $2. DH bought a couple books for a retired sailor we know. Published in 1914 they are: An Illustrated Glossary of Nautical Terms; and Essential Knowledge for the Merchant Marine.

And today I got our pumpkins carved. Darn, I wish I could show you the pictures. Looks like we'll have good weather this year. Maybe I need to buy more candy . . .

9 Comments:

  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Too bad about the flippin' computer. I blog visit, usually, on Joe's new computer, because it's fast, but I blog and store pictures, etc, off my old one. I've got a lot backed up, but really should do more, as it threatens to die one of these days. And we have an old car that beats yours, twenty two years old this year. Older than most of my kids. And sometimes more reliable.

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Strangely, that's about average for a laptop. I used to work in the computer biz (retail a few years then then wholesale side a few years). They don't last as long or are as easy to repair as desktops. They are also way more expensive to repair than desktops. Good Luck!

     
  • At 2:12 AM , Blogger Bells said...

    No laptop? *breath* *breathe* That would do me in. We're down to one laptop at the moment and that's killing me as it is!

     
  • At 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh man, you poor thing! Yes, breathe. I don't know much about laptops, never having had one - but just as a wild guess, if it'll power up but the screen stays black, the most likely problem is with the monitor. Will keep fingers crossed that's what it is, because then the hard drive should be intact so they can pull your data.

    Once you get a new one and hopefully transfer all the data, I'd suggest not only regular backups of on CD as you've been doing, but getting some of those little USB jump drives as a backup to your backup. They're much cheaper now, and you just plug them into the same kind of port on your computer as you use for your camera, etc., and copy data over. Think of 'em like a giant floppy disk. ;) They're a nice bit of extra insurance for things like photos and your writing! ::hugs and soothing chamomile tea::

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Our first laptop did the same thing. We sent it to get it fixed--just the screen mind you, and the geek guys ERASED everything! I hope you have better geek guys. My resident geek guy wasn't too happy.
    Even so, pumpkins, good weather, candy are all good things you can enjoy without the laptop.

     
  • At 3:38 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    *sigh* I will cross my fingers and look cross-eyed thrice so that the computer fairies (don't tell me they don't exist) bless your laptop for one more go...if it weren't for blessed mate, the demise of my laptop would have laid me out for WEEEEEEEKSSSS.....

     
  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    Oh that's bad news about your computer. I hope it's fixable or at the very least they can recover your pictures. We got our computer when I was pregnant with Abby, so six years ago. It's a virtual dinosaur and I keep wondering how long it's going to last.

     
  • At 10:12 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Or bake more brownies? I've had two work laptops die on me in my 3+ years at this job. That's a little extreme, but they do seem built to obsolesce, the makers probably assuming that after a couple of years you'll want a new one anyhow.

     
  • At 12:53 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Be warned - every new computer comes with Windows Vista - I like it but there are issues with it! Make sure the software you have now will run on Vista. Those little jump drives are heaven - I carry one with me always and used it to transfer files from old computer to new - works better than anything including the network! Good luck and I'm sorry!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home