Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A little seasonal color

If there's nothing actually going on, I can always blog about the weather or the scenery. Having blog buddies in other hemisphere (Hi Janette, Denise, Kate and Helen!)reminds me things which are commonplace for me may well be strange and exotic to someone else. Thus I am sharing shots of - Indian corn, dried, and available in the local Safeway, intended almost certainly just for decoration, I wonder if you even COULD eat it?



Dahlias, hardy, bright autumnal perennials. If I had more sun in our yard, I would grow a buncha dahlias! These live in a neighbor's yard.

I would like a party dress this color. Wonder if I could still pull it off? (No, I am not discussing geriatric strip tease. Hmm - now I wonder if anyone has ever tried strip teas? Would that be tea in strps instead of in bags? Or maybe high tea with cakes and finger sandwiches and eccdyists?)

Grey and yellow make an elegant, seasonless colorway. Sweater inspiration?

Lucia once asked me if there was anything I couldn't just wing it on. The answer, in great big letters is, "LACE." Cables and structure and colorways make sense to me, intuitively. But lace - uh uh! I can do feather and fan, having memorized the pattern, but I could no more create a lace pattern than I could bring myself to rip out a sweater that turns out to be too small for my mature figure.

I keep trying to design for the girl I used to be. Wonder how you get over that? Rationally, I know I'm no longer lanky, but when I visualize sweaters on me, the me I visualize is still bone thin. (I was 5'11" and 115 lbs at 15. I got up to 130 in my 20s. Then added fifteen pounds per decade . . .) And I'm still rosy-cheeked and chestnut-haired in my imagination. The inner me got set about age 25 and just hasn't updated. How old is your inner self? And how do you go about choosing sweaters that fit and flatter?
The colors on the diagonal vest worked out wonderfully. I am not modeling it because it does NOT fit and flatter. OK, it sort of fits. It's a tabbard, so what's not to fit? But it doesn't exactly flatter. The wool and nylon tape was lovely to work with (Cameo) and the diagonal knit couldn't be easier. (CO 1. Inc in first stitch every row till it's wide enough along one edge, then decrease first stitch every row till it's all gone. Repeat for the second half.) Sew two corners together to make shoulders. Sew about two inches together on either side to make generous armholes. Tah Dah! Finish the edges if you have enough yarn. I didn't. The weight of this yarn has pulled the work into a rectangle. This is good. Other yarn, knit more tightly might make fabric firm enough to hold square. This is also good. This vest is a colorful thermal layer, and I will be wearing it under jackets this winter. But it just doesn't look as foxy as I had imagined.
Oh, the pattern? Colors A, B, and C. Seed stitch. Work one row of each color. The next color will be waiting for you at the end of the row. The seed stitch blends the colors in. It makes nice scarves, too.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:20 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Thank you, Roxie--my world was looking a little like an overwashed sock, and for a little while, you gave me color!!! I couldn't ask for a better friend;-)

    I do know what you mean...it's sort of why I stopped knitting for myself...all my knit stuff looks so much better on OTHER people, because THEIR bodies are exactly as I imagined them:-)

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    My 25year old body is having the same problem as yours. Sweaters just aren't fitting right, nor are the swim suits or slacks.
    I just love the dahlias!

     
  • At 2:08 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    My inner self is 25 and bears a remarkable resemblance to Geena Davis as she looked in "Thelma and Louise."

    I don't know anyone who can exactly wing lace. I've designed lace patterns, but the process involved a great deal of swatching, ripping, reknitting, reripping, finagling, cat removal, arithmetic, charting, rereknitting, rereripping, indecorous language, and rerereknitting (repeat as necessary). And nearly always I was either outright using or gently riffing on one or more Walker patterns.

    I want that dress too.

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    oh such pretty things! I love that corn. You really just decorate with it?? And dahlias are spectacular. I think I need to get mine in the ground.

    And I have heard your request. this morning I took spring photos (after it had rained all night!) and will post them tonight.

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I recently had some photos (pinup style) taken for my husband and I was really surprised by my body. I mean, I have lived in it for 50 years and you'd think I'd know it's shape pretty well by now. It is rounder and softer than I imagine it. Someday I may be brave enough to post them but I don't know. My husband says you can put that corn in the microwave and it will make popcorn. I have never tried it so don't take my word for it!

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Heh - my inner me is mentally/emotionally about 30, my inner body is (wistfully) about 19, when I was 125 and hourglass-shaped. Alas, that changed quickly once I got back into the city and wasn't hauling hay bales around and riding my horse! What's really annoying, looking back, is I didn't realize how great I looked! As for designing, I tend to make (or buy) things too large! Ya just can't win for losing, can you?

    Love that Indian corn - and I betcha you could eat it. I think the only difference between it and our regular eating corn (sweet corn, which how many of us Americans use that phrase?) is that the Indian corn is meant to be ground for cornmeal. I mean, where else would they get cornmeal?

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger margene said...

    Such pretty fall pictures! Love all the colors;-)

     
  • At 2:37 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    My self image is still a few years behind, somewhere around 19. Things aren't too different; mainly I have to work a *lot* harder to keep that flat tummy than I used to...or maybe it just didn't seem like work back then. I'm really liking my body right now, though, so I may be able to reset my self image to 26. Who knows, it could even keep up with me!

     
  • At 4:01 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    I thought we were still in high school...that's how I imagine myself...such a surprise when looking in the mirror!

     
  • At 8:25 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    My inner self is thin and young and in late 20's/early 30's. I'm not early 50's and pudgy. (sigh).

    The colors in your photos are wonderful. The yellow leaves and gray pavement remind my of the Waving Lace sock I'm knitting.

    I like your vest. You are so creative. I can "fake" a sock pattern, but a vest??!! No way!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home