Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Best laid plans, and all that . .

DH (and almost everyone else in the shop) has mandatory overtime this weekend, so I am left to my own devices. I have frittered away hours trying to decide what to do with my day. It's an embarassment of riches. So, after I blog, I am going to put out a few more query letters for the western, and then I am going to spin to books on tape. And wait for DH to come home. He really is the center of my universe; the sun of my planetary orbit; the axle of my wheel; the god of my idolatry. I didn't intend to build my life around him, but he brings me such happiness. And I can't even think what to get him for his birthday. He's hard to buy for since he doesn't want much. His inner heater is too efficient for him to want wool socks or sweaters or other knitterly stuff. He has most of the tools he will ever use. He likes computer games, but gets what he wants when he wants it. His birthday is the 17th. What to do, what to do? Maybe some coupons . . . One thing I will NOT do today is go shopping for presents. Saturdays are too crowded.

Thursday night was our first freeze. On Friday, headed to the GED training session, I had to scrape frost off the car windows. I couldn't find the scraper because, since I was carpooling with two co-workers, I had cleaned the floating mass of detritus out of my car and thrown a bag of dreck away. I think the ice scraper was lost amidst the dreck. So I used a credit card. Cold fingers but clear windows. Note to self: Get ice scraper.

I got a LOT of knitting done at the training session and have the body of the orphan sweater finished. Shades of red plus purple elicit varied responses from people. I think I'm falling into the stage of life where I will put any colors together if I want to, whether it's chic to combine them or not. Also, my stash goes back decades, so I can combine colors from many different eras. I remember when turquoise and a certain shade of olive green was THE coolest color combo. I know people would definitely blink at it now. And remember the mauve phase? Red and purple (and certainly these shades of red and purple) are quite pretty, but still a bit startling, especially to the young. Ahh, if only I could get a photo.

The season has brought poetry out of my subconscious. Here ya go:

Wishes

A room
all mine
with windows and a chair;
an oversized, overstuffed, grandmother’s lap of a chair
yellow as a ginko leaf in autumn.

A quilt like a calico hug.

A side table big enough
for book, reading lamp,
cozied pot of darjeeling, steam
dreamily rising from the spout.

Amber light pooled around me,
and outside
in the sharp dark . . .
stars.

10 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I seem to remember the welding equipment we gave your DH one birthday went over well. At least then (maybe 6 or 7 years ago? Yikes!)We felt it was a very creative gift. Has he welded anything lately?

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It's funny how we build lives around each other. When it happens naturally without planning, it's like an outgrowth of yourself. I feel that way about my husband. I value my alone time but don't know what I'd do without him. How weird is that for a feminist to say? Lovely poetic images.

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Kristin Shields said...

    Oh Roxie! I love the poem. Thanks so much for sharing.

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Blogger Shan said...

    The sweater would probably be a hit with a member of the red hat society. In fact I was at a craft sale today where a both had red/purple items marketed to just that group.

    As for your husband I'd go for gift cards to his favourite restaurant.

     
  • At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Beautiful, beautiful poem. Sounds like the perfect room!

    Hmm, coupons... I tend to think of coupons as good, whether the home-made kind, or purchased. Coupons to buy things to use with all those tools sound like a good thought. Is there anything he's been thinking of making for years that he hasn't bought the materials for because he feels it's too much? Or it'd make something you guys have no real use for, but he'd still love to have the experience of making it? Does he have all the books he'd ever need about interesting techniques to use with those tools? (Or is there one he keeps checking out of the library, that you could find to buy?) And if we can never have to many knitting, etc., supplies...can he ever really have too many tools? [g]

     
  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I adore that poem... and I love the fact that your stash goes back 'decades'...

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    Thanks for the inspiration -- now I know what my "project" room needs. A big old grandma lap chair thereby ensuring no projects ever get done. Hee! :o)

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    P.S. I have an overwhelming curiosity now about how you met DH. Is it a novel-worthy story? Maybe it could inspire your NaNoWriMo efforts this year.

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Mmm. Lovely chair. It's lodged in my mind's eye as a yellow watered silk covered chair with a winged back and squat counter-corner turned walnut legs.

     
  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You and Eliza Doolittle... but I like yours better, even if you don't mention chocolate.

    I just found a worthy charity that was happy to accept what must originally have been about $50 worth of acrylic. It fell into my lap and I didn't have room for it. Now I'm happy, they're happy, love it.

    As for DH's gift... a cookbook? A replacement for a worn-out kitchen utensil? Or maybe that's too utilitarian. A book he's been wanting? I don't know him well enough.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home