Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, October 12, 2007

saturday sky, knitting, and a spider




See, there between the branches! We're having a sunny Saturday. Leaves are just beginning to turn on the walnut tree in the backyard, and the apple tree continues to pose with serene assymetry.
As for the next knitting project, I have thorown myself at some tape yarn (Cameo 80%wool, 20% nylon) because I want a cozy vest for the winter. (I also want a pink and purple wool tweed blazer for less than $40. How's it feel to want and not have, Roxie?) I have four balls of dark pink and green, and two balls of light pink. Rahter than futz with stripes, I am blending them by knitting seed stitch. Just work a row from each of three balls. When you get to the end of a row, pick up the yarn that is waiting there for you, and seedstitch back. It's magic with two or three harmonious colors.




As for pattern, I don't know how far this yarn will take me, so I'm doing two diagonal squares and joining them at sides and shoulders. Lots of guesstimating and winging it, but that's what I love.




Now, if you are arachnaphobic, run away! We have this big old garden spider in the back yard, and I think she is really cool. I wanted pictures of the pretty designs on her back and belly. The pictures are a bit blurry because there was just enough air movement to make the web tremble.






Isn't she lovely? (Any spiders still around this late in the year are usually females.) Wonder if I could make a spider-back sweater?

11 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay...that's an awesome picture, but I've got to tell you that it would send my husband inside to send me outside with a broom. (He services the car, and I service the spiders...it's a system.) I've been reading this book that's introduced me to this nifty saying..."Want in one hand, shit in another--which do you got more of?" Well, because you're Roxie and you're awesome, you've got want in one hand and yarn in the other, and eventually a vest on your back and no more bad choices... L.O.V.E. that about you:-)

     
  • At 5:39 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Beautiful spider! (Yes, really. I think spiders are cool. I wouldn't want hundreds of them, or even one, crawling on me, but I'm quite happy to admire their construction, in both senses.

    I can't wait to see how the vest comes out. Is there nothing you can't make up as you go?

     
  • At 6:54 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    That's a very lovely spider, even if it is a tiny one! THIS is a spider (and the sort we often have in our houses in Oz). They grow up to 6" across!

    Looking forward to seeing how your vest turns out :D

     
  • At 7:56 PM , Blogger margene said...

    Love the spider pictures! I'm with Lucia...love to see them but don't want many around. ;-)

     
  • At 4:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I don't shriek and run when viewing a photo. ;) For big 'uns, that's about as close as I wanna get! (I used to like the little b&w striped jumping spiders we had in our house in St. John's, though. They were cute.)

    And I really really like the way of alternating yarns you've got there! Will have to try it some time. That vest is going to be gorgeous!

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger Kenyetta said...

    Ugh...I am terrified of spiders! That looks like the one that was on my porch.

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Terrific colors on your vest. I think spiders are kinda cool . . . from a distance.

     
  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Not an arachniphobe. I think spiders are cool, except black widows. I'm not afraid of them, either, just have a healthy respect for them. What kind of button did you sew on the mil sweater?

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger RoxanneZYG said...

    Cooooool spider! She looks a little like the one I have still out front of my door...just a little darker.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    OK, swallowing hard and using the comments box to block the photos. Yes, fully spider phobic. Oddly enough, I have some spider bites now and the fact that a spider has bitten me doesn' worry me nearly as much as trying to figure out when the little bugger got me. Knowing that they're there is one thing, seeing them a completely different kettle of arachnids.

    I love what you're doing with the yarn. In the photo is looks woven rather than knitted. I'm guessing this is a combo of the seed stitch and knitting diagonally. When you're finished will you post the pattern?

     
  • At 5:44 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    I adore spider webs so I'm willing to put up with the critters who make them. They do make me jump when I see them but they're a bit like bees -- doing lots of good in our worlds -- and for the most part when you leave them alone they leave you alone. I had one named Sneaky living in my bathroom and kitchen for about a week. Don't know where s/he went (probably a she). I miss her.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home