Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, September 22, 2007

after OFFF

MJ and I pulled into the fairgrounds about 9:30 and initiated the shopping immediately. I forgot to bring my camera (How do I do this? It was right NEXT to the basket!) I was carrying a large shoulder tote and a big market basket and explained that when both were full, I would have to stop shopping. Then we got to the Fantasy Fibers shop and I was lost. I bought 4 mystery batts and would have grabbed more but I knew htere was a lot more things calling my name that I hadn't even seen yet. I also bought a little bright blue batt because MJ loves the color and she will need a Christmas present soon. I could spin her the yarn to knit her own hat.

We got outside and found where the PDX Knitbloggers had set up in the shade of the spreading deciduous tree. I got to hug Monicapdx of animorphia, and I met tiggywinkleknits and invisible pretensions. Wayy cool! Unfortunately, we were near Blue Moon's shop, and I could hear the siren song. Much too quickly, almost rudely, I allowed myself to be drawn away.

Man, you pretty much had to sharpen your elbows and wedge your way through the crowds at the BLue Moon set-up. After getting bashed in the breasts and kidneys several times by people who did NOT know how big their bags were, I gave up. Much as I wanted to stroke, sniff, squeeze, fondle and ogle all the Blue Moon yarns, I simply lacked the cohones to fight the crowds.

So many shops! Soo much yarn! Soooo little time and even less money. MJ is a novice knitter and was just sort of along for the ride, but was getting her eyes stuffed full of colors and her fingers packed with various textures. I kept saying, "Ooooo, this is soy silk. Here, squeeze it." or, "Ahhh, pet this alpacca!" or, "(gasp) silk and angora! Feel this!!" In the midst of all the embarassment of riches was the Iron Water Ranch stall with open bins of colored wool with signs saying, "Please touch me!" This pleased me inordinately! They had some yarn as well, including one 300yd skein that was pink with lavender spots, hand painted, and only $27. Pink worsted weight. I was a gonner. And to sweeten the deal, it turns out that the charming pre-teen young lady helping to man the stall had done the dying. She has a wonderful eye for color! She asked what I intended to do with it, and I clasped it to my bosom and said, "I'm gonna take it home with me and I will hug it and I will pet it and I will love it and I will name it Fred." She giggled freely, having no idea that I was misquoting from a depressing book called, "Of Mice and Men."

As we were leaving the Iron Water Ranch booth, I sighed, "Well, that just about fills my bag. no more shopping." MJ looked at me and said, "You could always put it on your hat." Inspired woman that she is! I whipped it into a fat pink hatband on top of my broad-brimmed hat, and from thence forth, was getting compliments right and left on the beauty of my hat! (I am now wearing Fred draped around my neck. He is warm and friendly.)

Julie, it was so neat to see you! What a great place to be!

We wandered along, sighing at wool rugs and laughing at gleefully colored rayon ribbon and (on my part at least) lusting after the silk blends, but holding tightly onto the credit card. MJ almost bought a coral colored alpacca ruana. And at last, I found some deeelightful blue-faced Leister in a colorway called Herb Garden, and bought a small sweater's worth.

MJ and I are in a writing group and ran across a young woman who has also been a member. Squeels of glee and surprise! Aubra was looking at spinning wheels and sighing that she couldn't even spindle right now because her remaining roving was too matted. And there, in my basket, was a mystery batt that perfectly matched Aubra's nail polish and seemed to be straining to reach her. Well, I know when a thing is destined for another woman, so I handed it over. Hey, what can I say? I'm an enabler. Aubra will do magical things with it, I am sure!

And then, fercrysakes, it was 1PM and we both had husbands champing at the bit at home, and we had to beat feet with speed! What a wunnerful way to spend the morning, but next time, I will tell DH not to expect me before nightfall. By the time I had gotten in my shopping, there was no time left to schmooze.


Here is Fred with three Fantasy Fibers Mystery batts and the bright blue batt. Once I got the mystery batts into the sunshine, I saw that they all have glints of shiney stuff in them. My inner magpie did barrel rolls for joy. Wahooo! It's SHINEY!

(Mystery batts come in all sorts of colors. I like the blue and grey tones for spinning.)





And here is the blue-faced Leister dyed in the herb garden colorway. Soft and yummy!


I got home to find some more entries for the cashmere drawing. Dave sent some great pictures of his manly hands, and Lyssa shanghied two (2!) guys into a learn-to-knit photo session. She gets three chances because she is showing three different pairs of hands!

Wednesday midnight is the deadline, folks. Get those photos in to me soon.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    We didn't comment about your yarn on the hat, but Kim loved it. Her comment, "I like her, she wears yarn on her hat!"

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Roxie, it was wonderful to see and hug you - and boy, I wish I'd seen you with Fred on your hat! (Smart woman, that MJ.) And don't worry, we all understood the siren call of fiber shopping. When you only have a morning, that many vendors (Unbelievable. I was stunned; what, 50 or so, y'think??), and DH's waiting impatiently, well...you have to go for it when you can. I was just so happy to get to see you!

    Fred is gorgeous, and so are the batts and the blue-faced Leicester - good going, O Mighty Huntress. I nearly got one of the mystery batts myself, but already had some roving, so refrained. With difficulty. ;) And captured some PDX Knit Bloggers' hands, so even if I don't manage to shoot my own personal hands, you will get some pix from me! In a day or so. We stayed all day, and I'm ecstatic, but poopeded, man. ;) Another looong post coming up. [g] (Hint: I fell down hard at the Interlacements Booth...)

     
  • At 9:13 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Sounds like fun!

     
  • At 10:56 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    My sister in law called me at 11am from 20 feet inside the OFFF doors and said, "You have to reserve this weekend next year! Put it on your calender! Fly up here and see OFFF!" She's a novice knitter, too, and completely overwhelmed with the whole thing.
    So--see ya next year!

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a wonderful day...and I'm jealous...If I could not only buy fiber, schmooze with my people AND meet Roxie for real in live person, I'd be the happiest camper in all the land...

     
  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Working on the hands... I have two so far. Fred is so handsome, no wonder you couldn't resist him! I wish I had been there. I had a similar experience with Blue Moon at Rhinebeck, but I go to their site and drool now and then. One of these days I will break down and buy some Backstabber.

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Angie said...

    Hi Roxie! I didn't know how else to get in touch with you. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've added you to my list and am reading through your posts. I picked up a beautiful skein of yarn from Blue Moon last year at Rhinebeck. I'm still waiting for it to speak to me and tell me what it wants to be.

     
  • At 4:04 AM , Blogger Kate said...

    My ISE$ scafe was made from Blue Moon alpaca - beautiful. I can understand why they were inundated but I feel you pain when it came to proximity of elbows to kidneys. Ouch :P

    Thanks for all your encouraging advice and thoughts on my blog during my pregnancy. It's awfully hard not to be completely fatuous about Tilly but she's such an adorable baby (typical mum?). Well, until she has a little meltdown and I'm earthed again! Now off to have a wander through the blog and catch up on what you've been doing.

     
  • At 4:53 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    I am very behind in my blog reading so I'm just now getting here and WoW! Sounds like you had a fabulous time. And your haul. WooHoo! I'm in love with Fred, too. (sigh)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home