Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday off to the car show

GED at the jail went well, as always. As I was making my way through the warren of corridors and locked doors, I waiting on one side of a door, waiting for Control to let me through, and on the other side was abunch of prisoners lined up along one wall of the hallway, waiting for innoculations. We could see one another throught the little window. My first reaction was anxiety (don't want to get caught in the middle of something) but then I realize they were as uneasy as I, so when the door unlocked, I was able to smile at them, make eye contact with a few, and say a cheery, "Good morning, gentlemen!" as I strode on to my classroom.
And they all smiled and said "Good morning" back. Except for one who remarked, "Is it morning out there?" "Yup," I called back over my shoulder, "Cold and foggy. Even the crows are coughing." They all laughed.

I got so involved with the writer's group that I forgot to pull out the camera. Two of us were knitting, and one was spinning on her drop-spindle.

Today, though, we are going to the car show, to put our butt-prints in the seats of Jaguars and Mercedes-Benzes and maybe even a Roller if they'll let us grubby peasants actually open the doors. I am definitely bringing sock and camera.

Last year, the poor fellow showing off the Cadilac SUV tried to appeal to me with its luxury. I looked it over and asked, "Does the carpeting in the back come out? We get chicken manure from a neighbor to put on our strawberries, and I don't know HOW I'll get it out of that carpet!"

(and the inmates in the asylum say, "We put sugar and cream on our strawberries, and they call US nuts!")


The baby blanket grows.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Gotta love that blanket. I never tried modular knitting either. This blogging thing sure does expand my universe.

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love those moments of contact...every now and then you make eye contact with what you're expecting to be animals of the first water, and you discover well and true human beings inside, and it gives you a much deeper appreciation for your fellow man. (I'm actually typing this while my fifth period WORKS!!! So that's a little miracle in and of itself.)

     
  • At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the colors in the modular blanket. Did you dye them yourself, buy pre-dyed fiber? If you did the dyeing, what kind of dye did you use?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home