Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Took myself for a walk

In Weight Watchers, we have been working with the novel idea that it's easier to lose weight when you're happy.  Many of us are convinced we will be happy when we lose the weight, but really, the getting happy part may as well come first.

Walking makes me happy.  There is a protected riparian zone about a mile from the house called the Springwater Corrider. The part I like to walk follows a lovely little wild crick (Johnson Creek) through a gully.  Ma Nature is just bustin' out all over down there.

The Oregon Grape crop is going to be bountiful this year.  Homesteaders used to juice these beauties and make jelly.  Lots of vitamin C.  Just throw in some apple juice for pectin and a lot of sugar to make it set up.  It's good in the winter when there are no fresh greens to be had.


I  don't know what this flower is, but it's going gangbusters in the soggy spots.  So cheery and willing.

And walking this path always makes my heart lift.  It looks secret and magic.  It's an access way through a couple of un-interrupted mile long residential blocks so the kids can get to school.  Most of the home-owners on either side have grown hedges or put up privacy fences, so it's a private to your own adventure.

Another thing that makes me happy is Liz's Creative Cafe in our neighborhood.  She offers Foxfire teas, and art classes, wonderful pastries with and without gluten, and awesome coffee.  And she has art books, paper, and crayons avilable for everyone.  I like Earl Grey, iced, with orange syrup.  I'm walking over there and spending way too much on beverages I could just as well make at home.

Another thing  that makes me happy is the fact that it's berry season.  I can eat a flat of berries in a few days all by myself.  And they're  not at all fattening!

I have been admiring the neighborhood hydrangeas and decided to start collecting photos of them..  I love that you can change the color of the blossom by changing the PH of the soil!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...


    Walking is my mental health aid. Flowers are icing on that cake.

    Impatiens capensis

    Cape Jewelweed
    Upright. Stems stout, little- or much-branched, enlarged at axils, hairless. Leaves alternate, to 4 in. long, widely oval, toothed. Flowers 1 to few from upper leaf axils, each on a long thread-like stalk. Flowers include a swollen yellow tube with curled spur and 4 orange petal lobes at opening. Grows in moist to wet soils in partly shady places along rivers and creeks.

     
  • At 3:24 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    what a marvelous view for the walk....lovely.

     
  • At 4:45 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I think it was Mr Lincoln who said, "most folks are as happy as they want to be". I believe that. When I went in to work yesterday, it was humid and rainy. When I walked out the door, it was sunny and gorgeous. I think I smiled all the way home. It really doesn't take much to make me happy.

     
  • At 4:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love the corridor of green. It's so pretty to look at.

     
  • At 4:14 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Cool magical pathway!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home