Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Back across the pass

Saturday we drove over to Central Oregon for a "Celebration of Life for a dear old friend of the family.  He and his son had, in recent years, purchased a sweet piece of property the other side of Lake Billy Chinook, or Lake Simtustus as it is now called in a politically correct manner.  I remember when this was just a river canyon.  The Corp of Engineers put in a dam with a hydro-electric plant, and created a beautiful water reservoir in this stinking desert.

The road to the property is a narrow two lane with no guard rails that clings to the curving sides of the canyon like a seam on a starlet's dress.  Enough hairpin turns to break a snake's back.  Two one-lane bridges.  And at the end of it all - paradise.  A tiny cabin  below the rimrock, with a well and a pond and a corral for the horses.  Everything an old cowboy could possibly wish for.


A small part of Lake Simtustus.  Those tall cliffs to the west cast wonderful cool shadows in the afternoon where the boaters and fishermen like to hang out.









With two and a half hours over and two and a half hours back, I had lots of time to knit.  I finished a pair of short finger gloves all except darning in the ends.  Then I cast on and finished a hat with that Great Pyrenees  dog hair yarn I spun.  the picture doesn't tell you what your hands would.  The hat is so FUZZY!  And it's way warm.  The gloves are a Christmas gift.  Got to get to work on those!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Beautiful scenery. Great mitts....but, the pyr hat isn't white!?!

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Old roads are the best. They really make you pay attention.

     
  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    FYI - I believe Lake Billy Chinook is above Round Butte Dam, then comes Lake Simtustus which is above Pelton Dam....I too remember Cove Palisades State Park before Round Butte Dam. Still pretty spectacular! We've camped at "Indian Park" on the Warm Springs Reservation side of Simtustus - wonderful spot! Hope you are well - stay cool this weekend!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home