Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 29, 2015

colors

MJ and I get together about once a week to sew.  MJ is studying for her doctorate in communication, so as we sew, we talk about the things she's learning.  I get to learn about them too, that way.  And we talk about the TV show Grimm, and we talk about what's going on in our lives.  And we talk about anything that floats to the surface. ( "I saw this article on facebook about eating vintage canned food.  evidently, some things are better past their pull date.  Would you eat thirty-year-old sardines?")

  It's a break for her from studying.  It's a companionable treat for me.  And we make pieced and tied comforters for Medical Teams International so it's win, win, win.

Here's our latest creation.


 I absoloutely do not understand photography.  Why does it look so blue in the shade?  The full sun photo is much more accurate as to color, but not nearly as appealing as to setting.  Don't you want to lounge in the shade on that quilt?

Last year, Kyle found an estate sale that was clearing out a fabric store that had been in escrow for 30 years.  They were selling bolts of 1980s fabrics for $5 apiece.  We stocked up.  Do you remember the 80s, when teal and peach were so styling' and big florals were the thing?  We are steadily working through that bolt of teal and peach floral.  This quilt was made with ten-inch blocks.  We laid a floral and a solid face to face, sewed all around the borders, then cut them in an x, corner to corner,  This gave us four half triangle squares which we have assembled in pinwheels.  We  are repeating the process with 20 inch squares for the next quilt to see how the look changes with a bigger repeat of the print.  Half-triangle squares are very versatile.  The quilt after that, we may try  different arrangements.  They are quick and colorful, and will keep people warm.  I like to think that some of our quilts have gone to Nepal.  I know that many go to orphanages in third world countries.  We still have a metric tonne of 1980s prints.  We will be sewing for quite a while.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Sounds like a perfect day to me! The quilt is very pretty and will be comfy, too!

     
  • At 5:09 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Took me a minute to see the solid blue in that second photo.

     
  • At 4:41 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love those oversized florals. Something about them (and that peach and teal) makes me smile. I got married and had all three girls in the 80's so it probably brings back happy memories.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home