Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

And then . . .

The day after my tea party, we drove over the pass to Madras to celebrate a high-school graduation.  My late twin brother's oldest daughter's oldest daughter.  Our great-niece.  I forgot my camera, so there are no pictures, so you will just have to imagine a glorious 85 degree day in a black yard full of shady trees, full of kids from infants up to college students, full of parents and grand-parents sitting and chatting, full of celebration.  We prepared for 80 people and the preparations were thorough and comprehensive.  Tables and chairs rented and set up, flowers arranged, cupcakes baked, frosted and served in individual little clear plastic bowls.  The guys worked outside doing furniture.  I was inside with the girls - friends and cousins - doing set-ups for the food.  We wrapped knife, fork and spoon  sets in red and white checked paper napkins, then tied them with twine.  We lined paper sandwich boxes with red and white checked paper.  We filled little clear plastic containers with macaroni salad, popped the lids on, and stashed them in ice chests.  And then we made sandwiches and tried to keep track.  Ten turkey on wheat with cheese, ten without, ten on hoagy rolls with cheese, ten without, ten ham on wheat with, and without, and on hoagy rolls, with and without, ten peanut butter and strawberry jam on white, and ten with raspberry jam.  Each sandwich was neatly wrapped and labeled.  But, since there wires of us working on it, there were a few mistakes.  Kyle picked a sandwich labeled ham and cheese on wheat, and got peanut butter with raspberry jam on white.  Oh well.  There was also two kinds of fruit salad, bags of chips, and a pyramid of cupcakes: chocolate with peanut butter, chocolate s'mores, and lemon.  So hard to resist.

The beverages were cooled in three wading pools stacked up in descending sizes and filled with ice.  Great idea!  We are planning a party in July, and are going to steal some of these inspirations.

And I forgot the candy bar.  Nothing that would melt, but jars and bowls full of colorful candies with paper bags to fill as you pleased.  We had to leave early, but it looked like the party would go well past dark, when the fire pit would be lighted, and s'mores would be toasted and devoured.  Cheryl, you throw an awesome party!!

Kyle went in to work the next day.  Yes, he's retired, but every so often, the place he used to work needs an extra hand. Kyle knows how to run all the machines, and can still produce 170% of the average work, so they call him in when they need help.  The extra income comes in handy.

Last night we had a delightful dinner with new friends and sat laughing and talking until I almost fell asleep.

Today, they needed Kyle at work again.  I have finished every project with immediate deadlines and am wondering what to do today.  It's going to be hot, but the morning air is silky and glorious, so I'll start with a walk, and then I think I'll sit in the back yard and spin.  I get SO zenned out doing that.  If you don't hear from me again, assume I have transcended.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    I'm glad the party was fun; sounds wonderful. Now the spin sounds peaceful! Transcend away.

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Isn't it fun to hang out with family?

    Enjoy the spinning. It's getting almost too hot to knit here.

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Sounds like a lovely party! Congrats to your great niece.
    There's nothing like being outside spinning. Since we haven't heard from you in three days, I'm assuming the best---

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home