Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, February 09, 2014

The ice rain cometh


Yesterday we got more snow.  It was about belly deep on a long-legged cat.  Our cats stay inside, but the neighbors have an Abbasynian (sp?) that is a peerless hunter.  Fun to watch him try to get enough traction to jump on the hungry little birds yesterday.  Birds - 15, cat - 0.

As usually happens when we have a "snow event", the snow is followed by freezing rain.  When it started last night, public transit closed down.  Churches cancelled services.  police were coming on the TV asking people to stay home because the roads were NOT safe, and they couldn't even GET to some of the accidents.  "If no one is injured, exchange information and walk home."



This morning, we have about a quarter of an inch of ice over everything.  As long as I can sit inside and look out at it, it's pretty.  The street is a sheet of glass, and we are staying safe and warm inside and thinking good thoughts for the poor souls who actually have to GO out there.

I put on my big boots, went out, and brought in the humming bird feeder to clear ice off the feeding spouts.  It sounded like I was marching across a field of fine china in steel-soled clodhoppers. Crack, crunch, shatter!
The neighbors have some decent icicles.  Ours are just little toothpicks.  Guess all that insulation in our roof keeps the snow from melting so fast.  I'm so grateful for all that insulation!!
And here's a photo of one of my knitting projects being put to good use.  Dad said that Mom's favorite color was brown, so I knitted a brown baby blanket. At least it won't show stains.  and doesn't that little rosebud look cozy?

Stay warm, my friends.  Spring will come!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    My neighbors cat a a huge fluffy guy and he has been enjoying walks in the snow. Kala stepped out once as I stood at the door, took a couple steps into the snow, and then ran back in to lick her paws and warm her rump! I am staying home and keeping warm. Lots of conversations with the cats!

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Regal will go out and play for a while but Muttley is in a complete panic about the snow. He tried it and decided he really really hates it. Now he won't even go near the door in fear it might come in and touch him.

     
  • At 4:25 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    My oldest son lives in Seattle, they got 4" of snow...it has been a very wintery winter!

     
  • At 5:13 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Fran - the white kitty - managed to catch a bird. Then she proudly brought it in the house because Grilltech didn't pay attention. Needless to say, snow is her friend.

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Blogger Pearl said...

    I need someone to knit ME a blanket!!

    Greetings from Minneapolis,

    Pearl

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home