Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Southern cooking

I've never eaten chitlins - have you?  I wouldn't even have a clue about how to prepare them, but now I know where to find them.  And I bet they're good fried.  Everything is.

On New Year's Day, our dear friends Peter and Tamara invited us over for a brunch.  We had sausage and grits and black-eyed peas and cajun shrimp - a very creole sort of meal.  It was delicious and filling.  Tamara makes awesome grits.  They were the best darn grits I ever flapped a lip over!

The black-eyed peas were lucky. and after we had eaten dinner and sat around the table for a while drinking tea and coffee and telling stories (Kyle has a great shark story) and after the Creole meal had settled, Tamara brought out a flaming figgy pudding.  I could have eaten the whole thing twice, it tasted so good!

Sun shone in the window and limned my friends' faces with light, champagne bubbles tickled my lips, laughter bubbled in my heart, my belly was warm and full, and 2014 has been started out on the righteous foot!  It's time to write thank yous!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:42 AM , Anonymous Sandy O' said...

    You DO know what chitlins are. UGH!!!!! I grew up in the South and you can have my life share of them.

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like a fun time and interesting foods. I have no idea what chitlins are but I think it might be one of those foods that it's better to not know. I'm not sure if figgy pudding is one of those foods but for some reason I'd like to try that. I'll pass on black eyed peas though...even if they are "good luck. My parents had such good luck growing them when I was a kid and we ate them so much that to this day I can't stand them. Ick!

    Best wishes for a wonderful 2014!

     
  • At 5:11 AM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    It's fun to try new...glad you had a lovely time!

     
  • At 12:22 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I have heard of chitlins in movies but never seen anyone eat them (whatever they are). My brother does love hominy grits, though we never had food like that when children. My family was from Missouri and Michigan and we ate lots of fried food. I never even knew there were other spices besides salt and pepper until someone gave me a filled spice rack at my wedding reception!!

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Anonymous benita said...

    No chitlins here, but I love grits!!!

    Sounds like you year is off to a great start.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home