Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 27, 2014

Magic words: sunrise, snowdrops

I was running through Facebook when I happened to glance up and saw the rosy fingers of dawn stroking the sky.  This lasted for about five minutes.  But, oh, what a glorious five minutes it was!  I feel as if it was a special present just for me.  I am SO grateful that we can see sunrises from our house.
The whole sky was colored.  We have had day after day of cloudless cold and the sunrises were just there.  No filters, no gels, no special effects.  I'm always happy to see them, but the guy in charge was sort of phoning it it.  But today, he put in special effort.  And then bam, the earth turned that little bit more, the sun slipped past that specific slit under the clouds, and everything went to gray.
 I was out there in my bathrobe and slippers, shivering a bit, and as I turned to go inside I saw - We have snowdrops!  Winter's back is broken.  We may have rain until mid July, but the freezin' season is on the run.
As long as I was out in the natural light, I decided to snap a shot of the latest scarf.  This used up lots of little bits of yarn.  Looks like an easter egg, doesn't it? Wool, polyester, cotton, rayon, whatever was the right color.  Knitting these scarves the long way is a great way to put in random stripes.  And random has been my basic attitude this winter.  "Do you like fruitcake?"  As a food, it's ok, but lately it's become my prevailing approach to life.

I have friends with focus and direction and goals.  Friends like salmon with purpose and drive.  I'm more like one of those gossamer finned exotic koi, just drifting blissfully here and there around my pool.  Is there anything wrong with that?

I have a friend who owns a beautiful fluffy cat.  He sits in the yard, and when the squirrels run up and snatch peanuts from in front of him, he disdainfully turns his head and looks the other way.  Like him, I'm just not interested in squirrels.  Occasionally, I stumble over guilt.  Shouldn't I be earning my keep somehow?  Killing rodents?  Embodying ferocity, red in tooth and claw?  On the other hand, don't squirrels have a right to live?  If the establishment puts out peanuts for them, who am I to interfere?  Maybe I have a gentler, more meditative purpose in life.  Maybe it's my job to be happy.  It's possible!  It's a tricky task, but someone has to do it!  I accept my assignment.  I will be happy.


9 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I think being happy is a wonderful job. Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 3:20 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Happy and creative people are wonderful to have around you...you are an asset!

    Did you knit the scarf in seed stitch? I would love to use up ALL my sock yarn balls like this!

     
  • At 5:36 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I believe our job is to be creative and happy. Most people get busy with life and forget to be happy.
    It's our job, and I want to be good at it.

     
  • At 4:46 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Getting to see the sunrise is the best part of going to work early in the morning. Today it's grey so although I know in my head that the sun is up there somewhere, it's hard to make that seem real when it's only 10 degrees and windy. Winter is holding on very tightly here.

    There's nothing wrong with just living a life filled with color and beauty and being happy. It's what I'm aiming for!

     
  • At 4:44 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I love those wonderful colorway sunrises and sunsets.

     
  • At 2:39 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I am just seeing snowdrops, and my sarcoccoca (winter sweet box) is blooming. I never notice until the fragrance comes in the backdoor. Roxie, you lives in a little warm microclimate area compared to me - I know, I lived there for several years myself.

     
  • At 10:52 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Lovely sunrise!!!!

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Go for it and be happy! It brightens up the day.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home