Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, September 13, 2013

knitting has happened

Last year I bought a couple one pound balls of cotton yarn because it was on sale.   So, for my RV knitting, I took some Sugar and Cream for trim and made blue mitered squares, because it takes very little counting and almost no watching.  Turned out a cotton blanket for Med Team Intl.   I have also one pound of purple.  I guess they could use a purple cotton blankie in some orphanage somewhere.  I like to have busy-hands, mindless knitting for the RV because watching the scenery is SO pleasant through those big high windows.
I made a joke.  (Sings)"The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup."

Are you old enough to get this?

Today I go in for my Visual Field test to see how much vision I actually have.  And then it's baking frenzy as I make gingersnaps, chocolate chip cookies, and pear/ginger upside down cakes for tomorrow's tea.  On Saturday morning, I will bake the ham and cheese roll-ups, so the house will smell yummy and they'll be warm when people arrive.  I probably ought to walk a few miles today, too, to compensate for the tea-feasting.

 I set the table using depression glass cups and saucers.  I love the idea of these being given away as premiums during a time when nice things were rare.  I can just see the negotiations:  "Mom, can I have a nickel to go to the movies?  They're giving away cups and saucers in your pattern today."  "Hmm - here's a dime.  Take your brother, and don't let him carry them."  "Oh, mom, he won't like it.  It's a musical and he always burps during the romantic parts."  "He'll like the cartoon and the newsreel and it will get him out from underfoot so I can mop the kitchen floor.  Here's the dime.  Now scoot!"

5 Comments:

  • At 8:24 AM , Anonymous Sandy O' @ My Yellow Swing said...

    Yes, I got the "Soldiers in your cup"! There is a highway near our house that is called "Buffalo Soldiers Trail". When my parents from KY drove out for a visit, my mom heard me say "Turn at Buffalo Folgers Trail" She wanted to try that coffee blend but couldn't find it. Good luck on your test today. Hope you get an "A+".

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    "Soldiers in your cup" classic, I like it.
    That memory brings up
    Jelly jars with a flip off lid
    butter churns, party lines,
    and doctors that make house calls.
    I hope the test goes well.

     
  • At 10:44 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Cute joke, and yes, my dad drank Folgers.

     
  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

    Ah, I want to come to your tea! I'll bring treats!

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I love depression glass too. My family collected it from the time I was 16. Even though we sold a lot at my dad's moving sale, I still have 2 bookcases full! It does set a pretty table!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home