Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, September 02, 2013

Labor Day

Today is Labor Day which I am celebrating by doing not much of anything at all.  Kyle went in to work this morning at 3AM because one of the younger guys wanted to get in some hours at triple-time, and needed someone else to be in the shop in case of accidents.  So while I slept in till 5:30, Kyle got in most of a full day.  I expect him home shortly.  He's a heck of a fellow!

I took a nice slow stroll at 7:30 and it was so serene that it was almost surreal.  I had the entire neighborhood to myself.  Dusty yellow morning light, lazy birds.  You could hear single cars going down the main street several blocks away, one at a time.  There were no joggers, no bicyclists, not even a stray dog.  The air was warm, the light has that tint of gold that says summer is on the way out.  I turned a corner, and was bathed in the scent of lavender.  Walking along the block, I finally encountered a nice gentleman trimming his lavender hedge in the cool of the morning.  He smilingly gave me a bouquet and I sniffed in bliss for most of the mile back home.

There is a house where I know many cats live.  I enjoy their languid perusal of the passing scene.  Two fluffy black cats were under a bush, washing one-another's ears.  A young Russian Blue was curled on the dry grass in a patch of sun, looked up to watch me pass, and yawned an enormous pink yawn.

A few houses down, the people have quite a large flock of urban chickens.  Usually they sound very busy, but today, on this holiday, even the chickens were drowsy.

May your LaborDay be everything you hoped it would be.  Mine is already!  Want to see MY enormous pink yawn?

5 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Indigo Roth said...

    Hey Roxie! You've painted a lovely scene here =) I was also up at 7:30, but only because the postman rang the bell. You got the better deal, I think. Indigo x

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I imagine the traffic later on today will get loud and crowded with people returning home from a long weekend away. I am soon headed to a friends BBQ/potluck party near my home. They have one on labor day every year and it is fun, relaxing and filled with laughs. I always take deviled eggs.

     
  • At 7:21 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I was walking around the block at 0730 also. Only I was following the paper car.

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Scott and I went to an antique mall and sauntered around looking at stuff. Yours sounds nice and mellow!

     
  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Beautiful post! Your walk sounds absolutely peaceful and wonderful! The way you worded it painted perfect, pretty pictures in my mind. It was as if you'd posted photographs or that I went on that walk with you. I can see the light, the kitties, the neighborhood and smell that heavenly lavender. Mmmmmm! I hope your whole week is as wonderful as your Labor Day holiday! :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home