Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I have a mind like a steel sieve

So on the G day, did I remember to include Geode?  No, that gorgeous, gigantic geode dropped right out of my memory.

Attention youngsters; one reason you want to develop habits of good hygiene is because you will come to a point in your life when you can't remember if you have brushed your teeth or not.  If you have that sort of thing set up in auto-pilot, you will be more pleasant to visit.  Thank God for routine!  If I had to remember every day to feed the cats, unload the dishwasher, have breakfast, get dressed, I'd be starving and naked until the cats devoured me.
 The Geode belongs to Judy.  I made her a set of puppets to attend her oxygen tanks.  Here she is with one of them.  We have decided that this girl is naughty, but as of last report, she was nameless.  If you look at her chest, you will see that she has a banjo.  This does not bode well for a quiet, shy, retiring person.  Thank goodness Judy isn't.


Here is the other puppet.  Her name is Becky.  She had a ball at the Sisters quilt show, petting passing dogs, rifling through books, and chatting up strangers.  Judy and Maggie took the Fabric Depot bus to the quilt show on Saturday.

 LG and I did as well.  3 1/2 hours one way through breathtaking scenery.  I grew up in the Sisters area, so was able to identify passing scenery.  Depoe lake, Three Fingered Jack (a mountain peak) Mt Adams, Suttle Lake, Black Butte.  The bus was big and we sat quite high, so the views were stunning.  We passed through an area that burned over about 8 years ago, and everyone got quiet at the sight of all the dead trees still standing amidst the underbrush that was coming back with enthusiasm.
 Here's LG at the show.  The Quilt Show in Sisters has quilts hanging outside most of the buildings, between trees in the parks, inside a number of buildings, on racks between buildings, anywhere you can imagine a quilt could be displayed.
 Even under the eaves of the drive-in.  We considered going there for lunch, but the Lutheran Church offered sandwiches, salads, and homemade pie, so the choice was pretty easy. I had the blackberry crumble.  LG had blueberry I think.

One of the fun things for me was the skinny old cowboys from the church who were standing around to help keep the tables clear and clean, and help people find places to sit.  I grew up around skinny old cowboys.  It made my heart happy to see them.

Among the displays at the show was this quilted car cozy.  Behind it, in the upper left of the photo, you can see a bit of the quilted hot air balloon.

Poor LG had to put up with my reminiscing as we wandered around a town that has tripled in size since I was a tyke.  "I remember when this was just a dirt street.  In fact, I remember when they graveled it to cut down the dust."  "I remember when that hotel had the best ice cream in the county."  I remember the house that used to be in this vacant lot.  It was white with yellow trim."  Why do I do this?  It's not as if my memories are of interest to anyone else.  Who cares about the house that used to be on that vacant lot?  It's not as if there's a story attached.  But I couldn't help myself.  The hot dry air on my skin, the scent of juniper and pine, the angle of the sunlight and the blueness of the sky . . . it was a continual trip over  memory lane.  And then, those skinny old cowboys . . .

5 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I bet you saw so many lovely quilts!

     
  • At 4:42 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    But it's so satisfying to the soul to walk around and look for the changes!

    My Uncle Bud had the build (and the name!) to be a "skinny cowboy). He spent he time in the sun so he had the weathered face as well. You brought his memory to the front of my brain this morning and I'm glad. I miss him.

    You know what Big Bird says, "Remembering is like taking a walk backward through your mind".

     
  • At 8:22 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Nekkid until the cats eat you! So that's why I'm happy to have established some habits!

     
  • At 8:25 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    It is fun to share the changes we see over the years. I love hearing people's stories about the places they grew up.

     
  • At 6:00 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Everyone deserves a trip down memory lane once in a while. I for one would have loved being with you and seeing the place through your eyes.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home