Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 24, 2013

D is for daisies














98 in the shade

Knee-deep in daisies I wade the selvedges of the summer,
The weedy waste edges of the standing wheat,
with the full weight of the sun on my shoulders,
roasting the marrow of my bones,
filling my blood with a flickering-quick vitality.
Each step kicks up sprays of  rattling grasshoppers,
bright, chitonous  drops from this drowsy ocean
now washing in whiteflower froth against my  shins
while the bitter broken-daisy scent stings the air.
A hawk drops.  I turn to watch, and one pearl of perspiration
trickles like a lizard
down my spine.


4 Comments:

  • At 5:03 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Captured that moment well.

     
  • At 5:14 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You guys are getting heat? I guess I should be ready for the end of the week then.

     
  • At 5:30 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Daisies are one of my favorites. I wore them in my hair when we got married and the wedding party carried them. They symbolize innocence, perfect for a bride, right?

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger Indigo Roth said...

    Daisies! <3

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home