Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 24, 2013

The hands are never still

MJ and I started this quilt before the cruise.  I just lost the love for it - you know how that happens sometimes?  We were using blocks that had been beautifully and meticulously made by a friend of ours.  Those cock-eyed pinwheels, there.  But we decided to make a few mor to boost the size of the quilt, and it was harder than it should have been.  Then we had to decide how to put them together, and figure something to make it wide enough.  I carried it around in the back of my car for way too long (MJ has such a great place set up for sewing, with lots of light and space and a big table, until finally I took the bit in my teeth, slammed the front and back together, and finished the damned thing.  Arrrgh!  Do you ever get like that?  There's something you want to get done, but you no longer want to do it?  How do you deal with it?  I know a grown-up would have just put on her big girl panties and done it, but sometimes, my big girl panties are in the wash.
Getting it done released a lot more creativity, though.  I've turned out another couple of hats for Medical Teams International.  This one is acrylic, cotton and woo, knitted into the one size fits most stocking cap style.
This one is  handspun wool that I have had for decades that was too stiff and heavy for any project that came along.  I need the space it was taking up, so I grabbed my size J crochet hook and started top down.  The cloche shape just sort of grew as I found how stiff the work was.  The earthy tones don't show up well in this photo, but it looks like lady-like forest camouflage.
And then I turned out my box of earthy brown fabrics, put on an audio book, and cleared some more space.



One side
The other side.



I am just jonesing to clear the cupboards.  I am knitting some new puppets, more hats are in line, and a  bunch of pink flannel needs to be turned into baby blankets once I figure a pattern for it..  I want to find the floor of my work room.  I've been edging around piles of stuff like those poor people you see on the TV show, "Hoarders," and I'm sick of it!

We're going to see IronMan 3 this weekend.  I should be able to knock out most of a hat during that.  I feel just Full of productivity now!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    If I'm stuck on a project I put it aside. I have one that's about 30 years old, still waiting for my attention. Most of them I bulldog through or throw away. Some of the bulldogged projects are so badly done I throw them away, some are my best work. I just have to count on a 60% success rate. Anything less and I go find another hobby. All artists produce stinkers.
    I love the Cloche.

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Sometimes once you finish one project, you get your mojo and work through a bunch of them. When I no longer like a project, I work on something I'm still happy with and then move on to the unloved one--borrowing the momentum.

     
  • At 8:53 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Right now the Alaskan serial killer sweater is like that for me. I want it done. I want it done by June 20. I have been monogamous but really all that means is I've been knitting less because I can't stand it. If only there were another season of Dexter to watch that I might finish the last 5 inches and the assembly! I can't wait to knit what I want again!

     
  • At 1:19 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I know the feeling! I have several of those projects to finish! Gotta prod myself...

     
  • At 6:09 AM , Anonymous benita said...

    Wow! You must be feeling much better. When you get your stash cleared out, come and visit me. Mine could keep you busy for the next year. :)

     
  • At 5:14 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You just want to do something different for a while. You can always take up Viking Knitting. =^.^=

     
  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Such beauty! Such rapidly executed beauty! I bow to your productivity and talents. You deserve a special place in heaven for all that do for others. I'm so blessed to know you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home