Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, May 27, 2013

Good sport!

I knitted some eensy teensy baby booties for Ed's first granddaughter.  My price? I also knitted a rainbow trout hat and requested at least five photos of him wearing it in public.  His wit and good humor continue to delight me!

We have all the weather you could possibly want this May.  Blizzards in Maine, tornadoes in the midwest, a heat wave sliding up the east coast, and - surprise - rain in the Pacific northwest.  But there's no such thing as climate change, right?  I think the tornadoes are the scariest.  Floods; you know where they'll be and you can get to higher ground.  Hurricanes; pretty much the same (though where you can find higher ground in Florida is a mystery to me)  With a blizzard, you keep the pantry stocked and stay home till it thaws.  Earthquakes just happen and there's not a damn thing you can do.  But tornadoes - the sky gets dark, the wind picks up, that funnel cloud starts dropping down, and you have any amount of time to be terrified while it hits this house, skips that one, and flings entire cows through the air.  Even if the tornado doesn't hit your house, the tanker truck it picked up just might.  Can the folks in Oklahoma build their houses underground?

9 Comments:

  • At 5:34 PM , Anonymous benita said...

    Tornadoes scare me more than anything. On April 3, 1974, several tornadoes ripped through southern Indiana, northern Kentucky and southwestern Ohio. I was 10 years old and I remember watching one as it jumped over our farm while we were running for the cellar. The damage caused by those that year has scarred me for life. I can imagine what the people in Oklahoma are going through. My heart is with them as they pick up the pieces and try to rebuild.

     
  • At 8:37 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I was surprised to hear how few homes had shelters! That should be a requirement in all areas where tornadoes are common.

     
  • At 12:48 AM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    Is that the Knitty.com hat? Must knit one of them one day. Cute :)

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Blogger Sue O said...

    Unfortunately due to the fact that in many parts of OK as well as other areas in "Tornado Alley" it takes actual blasting to 'dig' a shelter it is cost prohibitive to many. What they need is to be able to get low or no cost loans so sheters can be built.

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Great picture!

     
  • At 9:06 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Love the rainbow trout hat! I've been through a tornado warning and I will never forget the color of that sky. It scared me more than anything else ever has.

    We are getting ready for the first "mini heat wave" of the season tomorrow. Whoo hoo. Can't wait.

     
  • At 2:20 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I don't know who Ed is, but I like a man who will pose with knitting. I've only seen one tornado and it was several years back here in Vancouver, WA. Most people who saw it were clueless and went outside to take pictures. I happened to be in a Good Will Store at the time and many of those who didn't venture outside holding their phones up stood inside the glass vestibule to watch. Thankfully, no one was hurt or killed in it.

     
  • At 2:57 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

    That is one awesome hat!

     
  • At 9:05 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The hat is awesome-- and the picture is priceless. And I saw a very very very small, very tame tornado pass over my head once. There was a palm tree in it, and it revolved lazily in the funnel.

    And it scared the holy piss out of me.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home