Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, June 01, 2012

My old man's an icthyologist


People who are as old as I am may remember the Smothers Brothers singing,"My old man's a fireman. Now what'dya think about that?  He wears a fireman's collar.  He wears a fireman's hat.  He wears a fireman's raincoat.  He wears a fireman's shoes.  And every Saturday evening, he reads the Sunday news. And some daaaay, if I caaaaan, I'm gonna be a fireman, the same as my old man."

They go on to name other occupations: policeman, postman, cowboy, anthropologist . . . So when Denise in Canberra sent me the pattern for a dead fish hat, I realized that it is an ichthyologist's hat.


This picture doesn't show the dead-fish X's on the eyes.  I have had so much fun with this that I am knitting more ichthyology hats.








A friend of ours used to hold the world record for deep ocean dives, so I figured he might enjoy an angler fish from the depths.

DH figured out a way to wire a little led into the end of the angler's dangly thing.  It flashes red.

I'm currently working on a quasi-trout for my brother-in-law the scout-master.  I'm considering how to get the flashing red lights under the eyes.  What could I sew down that would be translucent domes?






And what have I done with my wicker hat mannequin?  Swear to  dog, it's not like the thing is so small I could misplace it in a pile of papers.  I've looked everywhere it ought to be and even checked in the freezer because, you never know.  After all, I opened the dishwasher yesterday to find a box of oatmeal on the bottom rack.  Luckily, I had not yet run the dishwasher.

SO the black hat goes off to Australia as soon as I can find the big manilla envelopes.  Much as I would love to list it as "dead fish" on the customs forms, Australian customs has no sense of humor what-so-ever.  I'm on their naughty list ever since I tried shipping some alpaca roving for a Christmas gift.  I didn't know then how big a deal it is to ship natural products to Oz.  Hope the rum balls will get through ok.





5 Comments:

  • At 6:44 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Mom always liked you(r hats) better!

     
  • At 11:19 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    That is the funniest thing I have seen! LOL

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    http://www.amazon.com/Flashing-Spikey-Ball-12-unit/dp/B004QDBO84/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1338653353&sr=8-14

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    But you are a better hat model, anyway.

    I think the dead fish hats are a scream. And, no listing it as a dead fish on the customs forms might not work.

     
  • At 6:32 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Nice angler fish.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home